Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for everyone's responses in advance!

My 2000 C5' s turn signal is malfunctioning! It's very irritating when I'm trying to merge or change lanes on the highway because with the convertible top, it's really hard to see your blind spot. :bang

When I engage my left or right turn signal, sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I engage it and it does nothing and then all of a sudden it will come on! (sounds like a loose wire) Sometimes it works fine half the day, then it won't work at all for a few hours, then fine again!

Is this an easy fix? Anyone else had this problem? What could it possibly be? All the bulbs are good. Help! :huh:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Sounds like it is some thing commen to thy system. I would check the switch or the flasher unit...

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Thanks for everyone's responses in advance!

My 2000 C5' s turn signal is malfunctioning! It's very irritating when I'm trying to merge or change lanes on the highway because with the convertible top, it's really hard to see your blind spot. :bang

When I engage my left or right turn signal, sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I engage it and it does nothing and then all of a sudden it will come on! (sounds like a loose wire) Sometimes it works fine half the day, then it won't work at all for a few hours, then fine again!

Is this an easy fix? Anyone else had this problem? What could it possibly be? All the bulbs are good. Help! :huh:
When the signals are acting flaky, does it affect both sides at the same time? Or does it seem independent?

Sometimes the hazzard light switch gets cranky. When the signal issue happens next time, turn your hazzard lights off/on really quick to see if this temporarily fixes the turn-signal-no-workie issue.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My 2001 did the same thing a while back. Turned out to be a bad flasher unit. Sometimes I could get it to work by playing with the hazzard switch as Patrick suggests, or by slapping the top of the dash above the hazzard switch. The dealer replaced the flasher and the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will check the flasher unit, although I don't know where it is located yet... Whenever it doesn't work, both sides are affected, not even the indicators light up. Already tried banging the dash. I hadn't even thought of the hazards!! :crazy:

·
Registered
402 Posts
On the 2001, the turn signal flasher is integrated into the hazard warning switch. I bet it is the same for a 2000 as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick fix worked!

Thanks to Patrick and everyone else. The "poke-the-hazard" button on and off real quick has worked wonderful! Every time now so far. What a great quick-fix until I can replace the flasher unit. Thanks again!!!

:thumbsup: ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I did the same thing with my Vette when I first got it. It got old quick, and I took it in a nd had it repaired for free. Out of warranty, even. They fixed that and my column lock issue at the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quick Fix

I read that you can pop the Switch Button off the Hazard assembly and drill a small hole into it, then spray electrical contact cleaner into it since the sliding contacts burn and don't operate properly.

To R&R the hazard assembly requires R&R of the center console, dashboard bezels, radio and possibly the dashboard (If you follow GM's procedure) or you can remove the radio and try to get the switch out from behind by hitting it with a chisel ( from inside the cockpit to the front of the car)

I'm in a similar position and debating whether or not to do one of the above.

When I brake, the display on the DIC, the radio and the Clock all start flashing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts