Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which bra to purchase? I do a lot of highway driving and I’m afraid the front of my vette is going to get beat to death with gravel from the road.

Does anyone have any feedback about whether to purchase a strap on “fabric” bra or one of those clear “stick-on” 3M bras?

I’ve concerned the “fabric” bra may get sand underneath and scratch the paint but I don’t really like the looks of the clear stick on bras.

Thanks,

Reb

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
what makes you think you'll chip paint? Seriously, I've never found that as a concern on my cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just seen it happen on so many other cars. My wife drives a mustang and the front of her car has little pits in it from the road. My vette is black so I'm sure any rock pits would really stand out. I'm just trying to be proactive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your car is black I woul deffenitly consider it . I had a Black C4 and got nicks and pits all over the hood even with the bra. Luckily the paint on a C5 is better quality but black is the worst color for rock chips.

The other trick is to not ride semi trucks asses or any big vehicle for that matter. I had my C4 hood repainted before I sold it and found that if I slowed down and let the trucks hurry up and pass that it reduced the amount of road rash on the front.

Arrrgh if it werrent for the EPA we would have stronger paints.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Rebel02 said:
I have just seen it happen on so many other cars. My wife drives a mustang and the front of her car has little pits in it from the road. My vette is black so I'm sure any rock pits would really stand out. I'm just trying to be proactive.
OK:huh: Do I assume that you travel a lot of gravel roads? If you gotta get a bra, I'd think the fabric type is best. I'd be afraid of the clear plastic stuff causeing paint blemishes because of heat/condensation layers, etc.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
I don't have a bra, but my hood is pitted to all hell.

There is a process where they airbrush the pits, then buff the hood. Pits gone!

I'd rather go that route then put a boob holder on the car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
GM bra is good, don't like them .but some times you need one .when i drove down to bowling green it helped out a lot thats the only time i use it on long road trips :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
From experience....what I have seen as the easiest to install, attaches in about 5 places no traps or things to bend and tuck but alas the seemingly most expensive...Speed Lingerie!!

If your car is Sebring Silver, I have a gently used one for sale with the license plate window. I just bought a used Colgan for my new black car and really don't care for the way it mounts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the GM bra. I too worry about sand getting under it and scratching. I contacted Ed from Clearlastic and he is tring to get a kit together to go under edges of bra. :buhbye:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Re reading this about cleartastic made remeber that I read a thread in C/F about a 3M clear bra that has to be applied by one of their installers. I didn't find any installers or any one I talked to in ny area that knew about it so I dropped the search idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bra will deflect most gravel, but the price will be a dull finished where the outer band fits around the cowl. I had a white Tran Am that looked great until you got up close and could see the satin finish from the "sanding." Plus you have to take the bra off everytime you wash the car and take it off when it gets wet. I had 2 that I alternated and still had paint issues. Check a car that sits out overnite. If there is a lot of dust on the car the next morning, your going to have real finish problems.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
reproman said:
The bra will deflect most gravel, but the price will be a dull finished where the outer band fits around the cowl. I had a white Tran Am that looked great until you got up close and could see the satin finish from the "sanding." Plus you have to take the bra off everytime you wash the car and take it off when it gets wet. I had 2 that I alternated and still had paint issues. Check a car that sits out overnite. If there is a lot of dust on the car the next morning, your going to have real finish problems.
I never had that experience wit the Speed Lingerie on my 98. I didn't use the car in the rain and if I had COMMON SENSE says take it off, dry it out, clean the car..wax the area (that is in the instructions that come with almost ANY bra) before reinstalling.
Does anyone need to be told to change your oil? or do you just know it needs to be done?
My bra was on for months at a time. I used a California duster and detailer spray when I put it away, then covered it. A little anal? Yes! The results were very visible. If I/you care enough to worry about getting a bra, then you obviously are not afraid to go the extra mile to care for the paint properly. Think about it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your comments

Thanks for the information on the bra. I’m doing just what you recommended. I take it off, clean it and store it in a dug free environment. It has been working great so far. I only use it when I may be taking a long trip. There have been many instances that I was very glad to have it.

Thanks again,

Reb

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,667 Posts
my car is black also.but in my opinion:laughing: nothing looks worse than a zainoed black car with a bra that kills the flow.mine was chipped when i got it.after a million coats of zaino it rarely chips anymore.i am getting the hood and bumper painted next month,be good for a few more years then do it again.the only time i get them now,is at the stageing area right behind the water box.our track you are right behind the car in the water-box,and with my luck its a 7 second car with big slicks.sounds like driving threw a hail storm.thats a good time for a bra.:surprised

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Re reading this about cleartastic made remeber that I read a thread in C/F about a 3M clear bra that has to be applied by one of their installers. I didn't find any installers or any one I talked to in ny area that knew about it so I dropped the search idea.
The 3M Product is not a bra, per se. It is a clear film that is applied over the paint like window tint. Once in place, it is invisible except for the edges. It is very durable and will protect against rock chips and road debris, but it is PERMANENT. Once it's on, you can not remove it without it peeling the paint off with it. I had it on my black 97 for 2 years, then ended up having it peeled off and the front end re-painted. The car looks better without it (I choose to live with the rock chips), but IMO the 3M film looks WAY better than a stupid piece of vinyl draped over the front of my car like it was some alpha prototype. I mean, look at the C6 spy shots on this website. you want your car looking like THAT? No thanks, I'll take my chances with the rocks.:cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts