Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowly selling off parts of my interior to make it a full race car. I am removing the gauge cluster to install Auto Meter electric analog gauges to replace the factory cluster. I do not have the new gauges yet but can anyone tell me which wires on the factory plug are for what gauges? I would like to label them as I take it apart, but I dont have a FSM.

Has anyone done this before? Can I use the signal from the LCD wires to an analog speedo and fuel level gauge? I am thinking since all the factory gauges are electric it should be a simple plug and play type swap as long as I know which wires belong to what gauges.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Can I use the signal from the LCD wires to an analog speedo and fuel level gauge?
No, you need to get those signals from the wires that feed into the CCM. The CCM gets the signals then converts then and sends them in a data stream to the LCD. so for the Speedo and Fuel level, you can pick those off of the CCM connectors. all the others go direct to the cluster

Edit I just notice Auto Meter has ES with RED LED backlight.. Those look nicee

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, you need to get those signals from the wires that feed into the CCM. The CCM gets the signals then converts then and sends them in a data stream to the LCD. so for the Speedo and Fuel level, you can pick those off of the CCM connectors. all the others go direct to the cluster
Ok makes sense. I figured I would have to do something for those two. Pardon my ignorance, but by CCM do you mean the computer under the hood? or a separate control module?

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Ok makes sense. I figured I would have to do something for those two. Pardon my ignorance, but by CCM do you mean the computer under the hood? or a separate control module?
no:

ECM= Engine Control Module (under hood)

CCM= Central Control Module (also known as Body Control Module) located behind the Radio head in Dash.

EBCM= Electronic Brake Control Module, located in lower storage area behind driver seat

the CCM is the master Computer all others are slaves

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Edit I just notice Auto Meter has ES with RED LED backlight.. Those look nicee
Actually I was looking at the Carbon Fiber series by Auto Meter.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
no:

ECM= Engine Control Module (under hood)

CCM= Central Control Module (also known as Body Control Module) located behind the Radio head in Dash.

EBCM= Electronic Brake Control Module, located in lower storage area behind driver seat

the CCM is the master Computer all others are slaves
is the CCM only ZR1 or 91-96? My 86 doesn't have anything like that

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a manual for a '91 which should be the same as my '90.

Jeff, I may be asking a lot of questions once I start installing gauges. :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
91 is different. Due to body harness changes and retained accessory power
SO it is worthless for even the gauges? I just need to know the wires from the VSS to the CCM and what the fuel level wire are. All the other gauges should be plug and play right?

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
SO it is worthless for even the gauges? I just need to know the wires from the VSS to the CCM and what the fuel level wire are. All the other gauges should be plug and play right?
Cluster wiring is the same.

VSS and Fuel, should be the same from what I recall.

anything beyond that will/may be different

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Just my $0.02 but from dealing with the VSS stuff I went through trying to find sending units and such I would consider switching to the dakota digital stuff for my speed inputs if I am scrapping the factory electrons.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just my $0.02 but from dealing with the VSS stuff I went through trying to find sending units and such I would consider switching to the dakota digital stuff for my speed inputs if I am scrapping the factory electrons.
What all did you change to the Dakota Digital sending units? Just the VSS or everything? DO they work with any gauge or just Dakotas stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
What all did you change to the Dakota Digital sending units? Just the VSS or everything? DO they work with any gauge or just Dakotas stuff?
Didn't actually change anything.. But in hunting down my problems I did discover they no longer make our sensors and the recycling places are empty. I know I have the 4+3 but the external dimensions of the sensor are the same for the 700R4 and the PMG portion internal to the sensor is different for the higher ratios above a 2.57/9..

The connectors aren't a standard weather pack-- they have different grooves. They also don't make the plastic gears for the 3.07 and above rear ratios.. I even went to a source at BWD- Nothing... Basically next problem I will have to change everything.

Talking with the dakota folks they claim the sending units will work with any guage and the adapter unit will allow you to adjust for any ratio.

·
Registered
48 Posts
this is what I did. I'm still using the LCD to see speed, gas, etc. The autometer gauges are using its senders (no signal from any controler device)
very easy to do...

·
Registered
48 Posts
what size are those gauges you are using?

both the larger and smaller ones..
3 3/8" tacho & 2 1/6" smaller. You can find them on Summit. I like them so much @ night.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts