Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im getting ready to install the 5spd trans, and New clutch. The guy at my local parts store has suggested the
Centerforce Dual friction clutch? This one seems to be the top clutch from them. I was thinking of a Centerforce 2?
What would you use? Thanks
1981 w/ basic rebuild
TPI injection
TKO 500
3.56 rear end gears?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im getting a tko 600 5 speed kit from american powertrain which includes:

SCIENCE FRICTION 1126LP STREET SLAYER CERAMIX CLUTCH KIT,
INCLUDES:
STANDARD CLAMP LOAD LOW PROFILE PRESSURE PLATE,
26-SPLINE FULL CIRCLE CERAMIC MATRIX REBOUND HUB DISC,
ALL STEEL RELEASE BEARING,
STAINLESS PILOT BEARING,
ALIGNMENT TOOL,
620FT-LB RATED,
LIGHT PEDAL EFFORT

its shown as $329 on the overall quote.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im getting ready to install the 5spd trans, and New clutch. The guy at my local parts store has suggested the
Centerforce Dual friction clutch? This one seems to be the top clutch from them. I was thinking of a Centerforce 2?
What would you use? Thanks
1981 w/ basic rebuild
TPI injection
TKO 500
3.56 rear end gears?
I have been using a CF 2 on my stroker engine, for three years, with no problems. Street use only.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been very happy with my Ram Powergrip clutch. It has a dual friction surface without the stupid weights a Center Force has that gives problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been very happy with my Ram Powergrip clutch. It has a dual friction surface without the stupid weights a Center Force has that gives problems.
:agree: That was my choice too.
SFI certified & Balanced out of the box.
It has served me well.

I just reread the original post. With a fairly stockish rebuild, pretty much anything will be up to the task.
You may just want to buy a standard replacement clutch kit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After having problems with a Centerforce DF (weights), I went with a McLeod. Ten years now and no problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All, I ended up with a CF DF clutch, oh well. I hope this does not become a problem in the future! I should have went with my gut on the CF II. On a side note I have had problems with 2 different OEM type clutches. 1 had a bad diaphram spring, the other showed signs of slipage. Hope this works

What do the extra weights do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts