Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vette sat for a few days, and when I released the parking brake, the handle would not fully retract back down to the center console.

I fidgeted with it and finally go it into the released position, but now when I pull the parking brake handle up it won't stay locked in the engaged position.

The brakes do engage, it seems like the handle wont engage the detents.

I haven't dismantled it yet, that'll happen this weekend, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and what the fix was.

If this is a common problem, I'd like to get any needed parts picked up or on order before I rip the console apart.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I could post some instructions but they are nothing but a bunch of flow charts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that the steel wire connecting the brake handle button to the detent release straightened out and therefore stopped working properly.

I dismantled the handle and reformed the steel wire to its original shape. It worked for a while, but then it stopped working again. Its seems to be a less than robust design.

I found a used handle to replace it with, but the handle came with a short cable already attached and it looks like it must be fed through the floorpan.

Anyone have any tips / tricks / suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Do you need the instruction on how to replace the cable?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know how to dismantle the console to get to the pbrake handle mechanism but I'm not sure what I'll encounter under the car to uninstall and reinstall the handle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got a chance to replace the parking brake handle.

After climbing under the car and seeing that the assembly where the main cable splits into two is above the tranny, I decided to remove the cable at the pbrake handle and keep the install work in the passenger compartment. (I had found a good picture of the end of the cable underheath the car on the internet, but at the time I didnt realize the picture was taken on a car without the tranny in it! :smack)

After some experimentation, I figured out how to remove the cable and reinstall it from the assembly.

The new (used) handle assembly was slightly different than the original, but I didnt see anything that would have prevented a successful installation.

Took me several hours from start to finish, but it works!

Now onto the next project!

PS How many different electrical connectors does GM have? I dont think any two on this car are the same!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts