Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
OK, I like it a lot. Beautiful lines and very functional styling. Under 60 grand is a big bonus. Makes me wonder what the high-performance variants will offer for 100K. DOHC, single plane, 800 horsepower fun mobile. You've got to believe that there's a Ford GT beater somewhere in the lineup for about half price. Now, if I can just hit that lottery. I went to the ordering website and did a dark blue Vette with the red interior.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You've got to believe that there's a Ford GT beater somewhere in the lineup for about half price. Now, if I can just hit that lottery. I went to the ordering website and did a dark blue Vette with the red interior.
The V6 Ford GT does 0-60 in 3 seconds, so if you watched the reveal, you know the C8 Stingray Z51 is faster 0-60 than the Ford GT. Will it top out any other Ford GT performance specs? We don't know yet, but I cannot wait to see the first comparo test of the ~$60-65k Z51 (price of Z51 pkg?)and the $400k+ Ford GT. The blue oval will turn red with embarrassment.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
but I cannot wait to see the first comparo test of the ~$60-65k Z51 (price of Z51 pkg?)and the $400k+ Ford GT
It is going to get interesting for sure. 0-60 is one thing but top speed is another ballgame altogether. The Ford has about an extra 150 horsepower which will help push the wind around pretty good. Aerodynamic drag is going to be a big deal and the Vette does appear to be a cleaner design. I think the Ford is prettier and more badass at the same time but at over 4 times the cost it should be.

Even if the Vette price does rise to 100K for 750+ HP version it will still be a massive bargain compared to the Ford or any other hyper-car on the road.. Chevy appears to have hit the nail on the head with the new design. We need to start a Go-Fund-Me page so I can afford one. Donations?? If I can raise enough money for two of them I'll even share.:cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
HERE IT I - Pics & Vid Links to Reveal Coupe & Vert! (keep checking 1st Post)

0 to 60 is fine. But I care more about what happens when you turn the wheel. 750 hp will not do squat if you park it in the corners.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
0 to 60 is fine. But I care more about what happens when you turn the wheel. 750 hp will not do squat if you park it in the corners.
The first post includes a link to "Corvette Academy" - essentially C8 details from all of the engineers and even Marketing. I like this vid in particular because of the look on Tadge's face when he recalls the FIRST drive of the first prototype. Open the link below and go to the 3:28 to see what I mean. Tadge turned into a Valley Girl over the handling. To me, it speaks volumes - FWIW

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,393 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm not getting any feedback on the 'Update it all in the first post idea." However, I'm going to guess the glass is half full based on the number of hits the thread has had. If any of you have ideas about how to better present all of the information, pics and vids, please let me know. Every day I find more interesting (to me anyway) bits to include/update and the hits seem to indicate that new stuff is easier to find in a single post than new daily threads...or am I misinterpreting?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,393 Posts
I'd keep updating this thread and bump it if there was a day without any

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Will do, but the downside of updating only Post number 1 is that editing the post and updating doesn't move the thread to the top. I'll keep posting and deleting 'TTT posts. About 1200 hits so people ARE checking the thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am planning on driving my GT3 RS to my local Chevy dealer to stick it in his face. Yeah, want him to know I am serious. Maybe I should have left the OPR on it, maybe car numbers will do. Hoping the C8 will hunt down GT3s on the track. Spec shows it as a bit porky, but more torque. Does torque really win races? Or just move the wall farther when you hit it?
Anyway, adjusting from ass end pendulum car to mid engine car is nothing new to me. Both have serious merits. F'n cars with engine in front? WTF with that?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,393 Posts
Will do, but the downside of updating only Post number 1 is that editing the post and updating doesn't move the thread to the top. I'll keep posting and deleting 'TTT posts. About 1200 hits so people ARE checking the thread.
We're thinking alike. When I said update I was thinking with a new post not changing post #1

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
It will be interesting to hear people’s thoughts on increased repair costs and the likely lack of available qualified GM techs when these cars are out of warranty.

I’m not very impressed with it.... I’m not a fan of mid-engine and certainly unhappy with the lack of a true manual. I don’t care how much faster it shifts, how much better it performs, or how advanced the new tranny is..... I want a manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It will be interesting to hear people’s thoughts on increased repair costs and the likely lack of available qualified GM techs when these cars are out of warranty.
Other than the DCT, what different about C8 repair requirements/knowledge from the C7?

Nothing much different from ANY other new car today. So many control modules on the new cars that in most cases, the dealer is your only choice anyway.

My parents had a 2002 Cad that continually flashed a brake/suspension warning and they tried 5 different useless mechanics before taking it back to the dealer to pay the $$$ to get it fixed once and for all.

GM is training their Dealer Mechanics in C8 service. Routine Services like tuneup, oil change, brakes are all readily accessible (no engine pulling). The engine itself is just a variant of the LT1, but with a better dry sump system. The DCT is a Tremic built unit and they have a good reputation. Like the C7, certain repairs will require dropping the sub frame unit.

The C8 has some systems that are unique today but will be on every GM car by 2023 (per GM statements) so a LOT of mechanics will be versed on maintenance and repair of those systems. Many things about the C8 are more simple than the C7. The Brake control unit is also the master cylinder, the power brake and vacuum, and ABS units are all one unit now.

None of us have a crystal ball, but I don't see why the C8 maintenance and repair costs should be any different than a C7.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I already covered this in the first post. Very, Very cool feature that would especially be helpful to me. I live on a hill and my lower air deflector drags every time in and out of my driveway. Everyone winces when they hear it because it sounds even worse than the wear on the edge.

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My bad,I thought I read thru all the posts before I threw that in.
No problem at all. Didn't mean to discourage you from making me aware of something I might have missed. But please do keep in mind that I am still adding new stuff daily because we keep getting more on the net.

Not much in the way of new GM info - they are staying tight lipped - but as we see more C8s being shown around the country and now "naked" on the streets, I'm adding pics to try to show what the colors look like outside. If you look at the two vids of the Elkhart Blue, one is inside the show room and the other outside at dusk and it almost looks like two different colors.

One other tid bit that is circulating but no verified at all, is a supposed leak that GM is seriously considering at least part of Bob Lutz Corvette SUV idea. Lutz suggested a $100k SUV which I think is un-corvette-like more for the price than for the fact that we're talking about an SUV. IMO GM should expand Corvette into at least a sub-division of Chevy with multiple Corvette models.

One benefit would be higher sales volumes would justify dedicated Corvette only mechanics for the Corvette models so that we don't some 18 year old 2nd day kid messing with our Vettes. The benefit to GM is obvious. SUVs have NOT watered down the Porsche 911 any more than the Boxster did. They made Porsche stronger and healthier and the same would be true for an expanded Corvette line, IMO.

There's a rendering that has been accompanying the publication of this rumor, but it is NOT GM's. It looks to me like a C8 fascia grafted onto a cad XT5 with a lower slanting hood - that I cannot imagine would be possible.

Value of the rumor? Unknown, but I will say that this same rumor popped up back when the C6 and again when the C7 were introduced. So there is a good chance that this is just idle speculation. On the other hand, the number of GM sedan/coupe sales have been on a steady decline while SUV sales keep increasing, so a Vette SUV is not as risky as in the past. FWIW

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I attended a concours event today in Plymouth, MI and was pleasantly surprised to find what I suspect is the C8 Mobile Tour. It was a mobile room, maybe 25’ square that had a white C8 outside, a red C8 inside, an LT2 engine, a cutaway transmission and several static displays of the wheels, steering wheel, colors, seats and more. The car is gorgeous in person and IMHO still looks like a Corvette. The top was off and stuck in the open trunk. Looks like plenty of room in the very attractive interior. I saw nothing to change my mind about this car. I want it and plan to get one in its second year. Museum delivery like last time. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
OK, THIS is fun - Ferrari guys' site chat about the C8

Surprising comments on a Ferrari page:

I really like the price/performance, I think it looks great from side or front 3/4, it's a proper mid-engine exotic looking car with real performance for ~$60-70K new and there is nothing remotely like that on the marketplace. Think about what $60K buys you otherwise - a cheapo BMW or a 4 cylinder base Boxster with no options and a really friendly dealer (maybe!)
Helluva combo of performance/price/looks.. I've never really been a Corvette guy, but what Chevy put out is undeniably cool. The Acura NSX and Audi R8 are already on shaky ground.. This will probably put those two out of production. It's nice they're keeping at least the base model NA. In a couple years you'll be able to get decently configured, well-kept used cars in the low $60s.. Probably even $50s. Crazy value.
Best part, this car will be driven, a lot, no one will be afraid to use it daily, track it, no one will be afraid of horrendous depreciation for any mileage over a 1000 miles and no one will be afraid of having the car "sale proof" and worth 50% less because Carfax showed a "Damage" history, regardless if it was just a bumper replacement.
Ferrari owners (at least a majority of them so don't get your own panties twisted) will continue to look down at the new Corvette, while their Ferraris will continue to sit in their heated garages for fear of all of the above.
mikelfrance said: ↑
The engine is almost twice the size of a 488. This car must be really heavy but geared really low in 1-2.
Not really. The simple, single cam-in-block, two valve per cylinder design, no turbos and all associated plumbing, and fluids, etc...

I'm sure the engine in the Vette is lighter than the complete engine in the 488. And probably alot more reliable and simpler to maintain. It's still a small block chevy at the end of the day.
I think it looks pretty good and the price / performance is incredible! The interior is a nice update. I think linking it with the moon landing is smart marketing. Most cars try to play to national strengths. Overall I am very impressed and say way to go Chevrolet!
"The new Corvette can be programmed to automatically lift its nose when, say, approaching your driveway or that pesky speed bump at the grocery store."

That's one of those "why didn't I think of that moments"...
I read 3 pages on that site and other than one lame comment about the displacement versus a 488 (that was then attacked by the comment above), all the comments were positive. I am shocked.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.