Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from lunch, I depressed the clutch to downshift, heard a pop and the pedal went straight to the floor! I was in the center lane of a four lane street and coasted to the stoplight.

Luckily within a minute of so a cop pulled up, positioned his cruiser to block traffic and pushed me in the Vette across the intersection so I could coast down the street to a parking lot.

I had the clutch master cylinder changed a couple of months ago as it was leaking...the pedal didn't feel quite "right" my hope is that the cable just popped out.

Last month I had them install new tires on the Vette, they actually put the back tires on the front and the fronts on the back.

I dropped off the keys for them to bring it in and fix it...the guy at the counter joked that he promises they won't take of the wheels this time.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope...they've towed it in yesterday afternoon and I saw it parked outside the garage this morning. I should hear something from them this morning.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Could be the piston rod in the slave cylinder. When I recently replaced mine the replacement piston snapped. It is just cheap metal. When the rod breaks the piston keeps moving out so all of the fluid keeps going.

Simple enough to fix.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe,

there is no cable, it is a hydraulic system. is the Master full? my guess is the Throw-out bearing snapped..

Jeff,

The clutch master was still full. That's just what it felt like normal resistance then nothing as if the clutch pedal wasn't connected to anything. This place just replaced my master cylinder about 2 months ago...

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They just called. They said it was the bushing that connects the pedal to the master cylinder. "No charge" :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we go again...last night my wife took the Vette to Publix to pick up a couple of things. 20 min later I get a call, after shopping she depressed the clutch, felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor again! Upsetting but I'm glad that it happened in a parking lot and not in traffic somewhere.

Still WTF could this be?

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Here we go again...last night my wife took the Vette to Publix to pick up a couple of things. 20 min later I get a call, after shopping she depressed the clutch, felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor again! Upsetting but I'm glad that it happened in a parking lot and not in traffic somewhere.

Still WTF could this be?
I am betting, same thing. there is a bushing around the shaft that connects the Master Cylinder to the pedal, but there is also a Metal clip to retain the shaft on the pedal. sounds like the clip is missing and shaft keeps walking off of the pedal.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called the shop about 5pm to find out of the car was ready. Cliff says "yes, it was the same thing the bearing. The bearing just isn't a very sturdy design but my tech did a few tricks to make sure it won't come off again so easily, we drove it around and everything's fine" I say thanks and hang up.

We pull up about 5 mins later and my wife grabs the keys sits down and tries to start the Vette. Same thing pedal "pops" and goes straight to the floor. Cliff is standing by the car when my wife gets back out and tells him. He's in shock and keep saying golly (gomer pyle style) I can't believe it happened again, golly, golly...

My wife get back into the van and asks me what the heck is golly (I couldn't hear him) I told her it's a nice way of saying God damnit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts