1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
link

Story:

Pair told not to name son '4real'

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- New Zealand authorities have blocked a couple's bid to officially name their new son "4real," saying numerals are not allowed.

Pat and Sheena Wheaton said they decided to name their new baby "4real" shortly after having an ultrasound and being struck by the reality of his impending arrival.

"For most of us, when we try to figure out what our names mean, we have to look it up in a babies book and ... there's no direct link between the meaning and the name," Pat Wheaton told TV One on Wednesday. "With this name, everyone knows what it means."

But when the parents filed the name with New Zealand's Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, they were told names beginning with a number were against the rules.

The government office has opened negotiations with the parents about the name under a policy that says all unusual names must be given case-by-case consideration.

"The name has not at this stage been rejected," Registrar-General Brian Clarke said in a statement Thursday. "We are currently in discussions with the parents ... to clarify the situation."

Clarke said the rules are designed to prevent names that are "likely to cause offense to a reasonable person." Satan and Adolf Hitler were proposed names that have been declined, he said.

If no compromise has been reached by July 9, the baby will be registered as "real," officials say.

New Zealand law requires all children born in the South Pacific nation to be registered with the Births, Deaths and Marriages registry within two months of birth.

My take: All I have to say is :WTF

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That kid is going to need karate lessons. I recommend starting them early.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
The classical liberal in me wonders why the State has any authority to regulate or control what anyone elects to name their offspring.

The adult in me wonders why any rational human being would intentionally hang something stupid like that on their offspring.

Steven

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The classical liberal in me wonders why the State has any authority to regulate or control what anyone elects to name their offspring.

The adult in me wonders why any rational human being would intentionally hang something stupid like that on their offspring.

Steven
wouldn't that be a conservative point of view (less government control)? That said, If someone for some God-forsaken reason named their child that, at least they could've refrained from using numbers...

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Any relation to the couple who wanted to name there child metalica?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
wouldn't that be a conservative point of view (less government control)? That said, If someone for some God-forsaken reason named their child that, at least they could've refrained from using numbers...
Actually, no. Conservatives would likely support the notion that the State has both the power (if not the duty) to ensure that names provided by parents meet some standard of decency or normalcy.

Conservatives have no issue using government power to control personal behavior (like drug laws, homosexual acts, prostitution, and gambling, to name a few). Typically, conservatives don't want to use government power to control economic behavior, though.

What we generally call Liberals in this country can be differentiated from Classical Liberals in that they have no issue using government power to control economic behavior, but until recently, weren't as supportive of using government power to control personal behavior.

Here's a reasonably good overview of Classical Liberal thought ...

Website said:
Classical Liberals, like myself, stress such ideas as voluntary association, incentives, and self-interest. We believe that people are bound by their own decisions, agreements, contracts, and so on. Therefore, people may do unpleasant jobs, for instance, because they pay. They may, of course, do things as well for non-financial reasons. It is important to note that we stress that our way of doing things combines a way to get things done with a high degree of individual freedom. We assume that people recognize the rights of others and some uncontracted obligations toward others, as well. Classical Liberalism can be contrasted with Welfare or Modern Liberalism which has an opposing view and is currently the dominant political philosophy in the United States.
Source: http://www.radicalacademy.com/philclassliberalism.htm

You may have also heard of this philosophy described as libertarian, and that is also a reasonably close description of it. I don't use libertarian because I don't want my views to be confused with the official positions of the Libertarian Party

www.lp.org

I don't have many issues with the national party (in fact, I tend to vote that way, since I usually can't bring myself to vote for the Demopublican or the Republicrat candidates).

Steven

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
agreed...i dont think anyone should be limited to what to name their kids.

but seriously. 4real? thats probably one of the dumbest names i've heard. that, and also when parents horrendously misspell normal sounding names or go against normal spelling rules (i know a girl named Qwynesha...q-w?). its silly. but i see no reason why its not allowed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts