Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I'm a little late (1999) but never saw this before....:laughing:

1999 Shelby Series 1.

At the heart of the Series 1 is the 4.0-liter, DOHC Aurora V-8 sourced from Oldsmobile. As we’ve noted in some of our earlier coverage, the Aurora V-8 was essentially a de-stroked version of Cadillac’s 4.6-liter Northstar. In Shelby guise, the eight-cylinder was coaxed to throw down 320 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque. Although that seems low, the car’s lightweight aluminum and carbon fiber construction kept its curb weight down to 2650 pounds, and allowed the car to sprint from 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds.​

Channeling that power to the ground was a six-speed rear-mounted transaxle (sourced from the C5 Corvette). Shoving the transmission to the rear of the car allowed Shelby to achieve a perfect 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, and a lightweight single plate clutch ensured the engine responded promptly to your right foot’s desires.​

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I love the Shelby Series 1 :partyon:
:agree: I hate that they never really caught on. Beautiful cars and a true modern day interpretation of the original IMHO.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
:agree: I hate that they never really caught on. Beautiful cars and a true modern day interpretation of the original IMHO.
one of the main reasons they never caught on was the HORRID customer service from shelby...owners complained of mis aligned panels and shelby would do nothing about it

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
one of the main reasons they never caught on was the HORRID customer service from shelby...owners complained of mis aligned panels and shelby would do nothing about it
Hadn't heard that but I would think that would definitely seal the deal for the car not catching on.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I really don't care for the rag on the back. It doesn't appear to go with the lines of the car. :D

It looks like some type of Viper hybrid.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
My Husband and I toured the factory where those were built, just outside of vegas. Pretty cool looking cars, I do believe it had a Buick engine though.:lookinup: Somehow that just kills it for me.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
My Husband and I toured the factory where those were built, just outside of vegas. Pretty cool looking cars, I do believe it had a Buick engine though.:lookinup: Somehow that just kills it for me.:laughing:
Close. It was powered by an Olds Aurora V8. But if I remember the N/A cars made 400 horsepower. You could option to have a supercharger installed by Shelby post production. I think all that's right. When they were first introduced I could have told you everything about them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts