Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after doing a wash down in the engine compartment yesterday for a show this weekend, that I have a real low end hesitation issue. It ran fine after washing it down but this morning I started it up and it really ran rough idling and felt like it wanted to back fire almost. I ran to the store in it and it ran poor but got better after warming it up and running it hard for a mile down the road and then stopped and did a u-turn. Back and forth about 6 times. It got better but I still notice a low end hesitation. (opti-Spark)? This is my first C4 and never have dealt with a opti-spark. I did the full on AC and hit the gas hard and it wants to bog down for about 1/2 second and then catches up. Does anyone have experience with this type of problem. The car runs fine other than taking off from a dead start. Anyone have ideas? I have read the optispark issues, but when reading it I am wondering if its just that I got water in the distributor ?it seems like the warmer the car gets (dissipation of the water/condensation) the better it gets. Ideas?

G-Man

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I'm sure that you're facing an Optispark issue. My prediction is that it will continue to get worse, and will eventually fail. You MIGHT get lucky, and the system will set a fault - and when that happens, you'll know for sure that it's time to get in there are replace it.

Steven

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it out and ran it for about an hour drive, seems to be completely gone, now. I wonder if its was water inside of the unit and it had to dry out. If it continues and it is an optispark, what does a dealer charge to change out an optispark..........? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I took it out and ran it for about an hour drive, seems to be completely gone, now. I wonder if its was water inside of the unit and it had to dry out. If it continues and it is an optispark, what does a dealer charge to change out an optispark..........? Anyone?
You know my old '87 use to do that hesitation off the line...and I thought it was the fuel pump! Turns out if was the FUEL, not the pump! I got some fuel (91) at one location, and during that WHOLE tank it would do that....I talked to some friends that said it maybe the fuel pump, maybe the fuel...so I got some NEW fuel from another location (91) then also added a injector cleaner too...until the day I sold it...it never did that again...and I had it for another 3 months before I sold it, after that issue.

I hope that you have figured out your issues! These guys on here are the best, as you know! Good luck! :thumbsup:

James

1N189

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did add non-ethanol premium 93 octane + a bottle of octane boost to the tank and ran it for an hours drive and then I can't get it to repeat again, that’s why I was wondering if it was water in the opti unit or what. Bad fuel, fuel filter etc. thoughts?

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
I did add non-ethanol premium 93 octane + a bottle of octane boost to the tank and ran it for an hours drive and then I can't get it to repeat again, that’s why I was wondering if it was water in the opti unit or what. Bad fuel, fuel filter etc. thoughts?
Optispark.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

List price for the distributor is about $530, and figure on at least 3.75-4.5 hours of labor. Assuming the local rate of $95/hr in south jersey youd be looking at the $900-1000 range, plus plugs and wires if youve never done them as this is the time, add another $350 for a water pump at the same time

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I've read most the optispark threads..... but...
How do we wash our engine compartment without toasting the unit?
Anybody?

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
I've read most the optispark threads..... but...
How do we wash our engine compartment without toasting the unit?
Anybody?
I wouldn't go there with a water hose.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like there was water in there mine went out because the gasket busted on my water pump and fried it wile I was on a date so not only did I get embarrised, but I had to pay the towing bill and the opti bill...:nuts:

I had my opti spark replaced my Corvettes of Houston and they charged me just under $900.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts