Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bone stock 1973 L-82
I'm getting ready to "freshen" her up .... i've used a bore scope and everything in the cylinders looks GREAT but it looks like I've got to bore her out .030 over to get decent pistons. I'd like to go 11:1 W/ the factory cast heads (soon to be ported by me) and install the Holley "matched" cam, lifters, intake and carb.
Got any parts lying around i might like?????
What piston/size would you reccomend
gapless rings..... are they worth it???
Why would you put a cam AND 1:6 rockers in a car?
I can fix 'em better than most.... sounds like you can make them faster than most!!

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
well the first thing ID do is SERIOUSLY reconsider the use of stock cast heads BECAUSE MOST even when ported don,t flow nearly the air that the better aftermarket heads flow UNPORTED
youll need a combo of a serious rear gear and manual trans and a cam with more than stock duration, to run 11:1 compression on todays crap gas with iron heads
while I can easily give you several killer engine combos I think youll need to think out the total expences envolved and the cars main use first.
don,t fall into the comon trap of just adding parts, IT SELDOM WORKS,CARFULLY plan the TOTAL CORVETTE BUILD-UP,TRANS,REAR GEARS,TIRES,ENGINE,RPM RANGES....THEN STICK EXCLUSIVELY TO THAT PLAN,and DON,T FALL FOR THOSE DEALS.... we all get from time to time on parts that don,t fit the PLAN, they only hurt the RESULTS YOULL BE FAR HAPPIER WITH THE RESULTS, if you STICK TO A WELL THOUGHT OUT COMBO!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is just a Toy.... her only purpose in life is to make me smile. If she ever gets to the dragstrip..... she'll be parked way out in the parking lot.
I'd just like to match the performance of the LT1
I AGREE 100% about buying parts that work togeather, That's why I'm planning on the Holley kit (carb,cam, lifters and intake)designed to work togeather!! BTW they also have a matched set with heads that deliver 75 more ponys
I have not been able to get under the rear yet but i'm sure I've got a pretty tall gear now.... I thought I'd get an engine put togeather first.... then start playing with the rear-end ratio....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts