Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to change my oil (like I always do) and the damn drain plug wont budge?I know when I changed it last time I didnt tighten it that crazy!Anyway with me under the car getting pissed and aggravated I managed to strip the damn plug? If anyone has suggestions or tips on how to get the plug out or might live around the orlando area that has a lift so I can get under it better or whatever.Please help!I really dont want to take it in and have the oil pan dropped out or replaced.Thanks guys .DC members are the best.Vettes rule!!!:partyon:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Get a good pair of vice grips on that bitch.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
use a large pair of vise grips and a large Rubber mallet. remember lefty loosy, righty tighty....:D

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
once you get a grip go very softly but constant tension on the plug

·
Registered
635 Posts
Try a small pipe wrench. Get it on the plug then snug it up. Then it will bite down harder as turn it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know it may be a bit difficult to do, but get a good grip on it with Vise-Grips or something similar and while you're applying pressure in a counterclockwise direction tap on the plugs head with a ball-pien hammer. This action acts as a mild impact wrench. I've used this method many times through the years with great success. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone thanks for the advice.Im going to sears to pick up some bigger vice grips and ill give that a try.Ill let you all know the outcome .Vettes rule!!!:partyon:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Hey Phat Chit hows it going with that oil plug:huh: ... Or have you got back from Sears yet...:laughing:

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Inquiring minds will like to know what happened were you able to pull it off yes or no?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not Yet .Been real busy!My dads in town ,My birthday was mon.Just got ovet the hang over going to sears today.Sorry im so slow with this but hopefully I will prevail.Vettes Rule!!!!:partyon:

·
Registered
133 Posts
18 lbs ain't much torque

Sorry you are stuck!, you said the last time you did an oil change you did not go crazy (overtighten the bolt). If I recall the factory spec. is for about 18lbs of torque. This is not Much. The wheel nuts are at 100 lbs. and you know that is not really hard to do with an average size torque wrench, so 18 lbs is next to nothing!
The old steel oil pans were much more forgiving.

Sears sells a Bolt-out kit . Kit and air impact tool should free it up.
Good Luck:smack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts