Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No idea if there's any foundation or not, but it may be something to check out. More PC for you. As in Poorly Constructed, or Politiaclly Correct, or Plain Crap, or, or...
Tim

SEMA ALert

California Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older Passes Assembly; Moves to Senate

Legislation (A.B. 616) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and has been sent to the Senate for consideration. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been now referred to the Senate Transportation Committee.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 616

A.B. 616 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

A.B. 616 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

A.B. 616 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

A.B. 616 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.

Please contact members of the California Senate Transportation Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to A.B. 616.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to [email protected]. Thank you for your assistance.

Senate Transportation Committee

Senator Alan Lowenthal (Chair)

[email protected]

(916) 651-4027

Senator Tom McClintock (Vice Chair)

[email protected]ate.ca.gov

(916) 651-4019

Senator Roy Ashburn

[email protected]

(916) 651-4018

Senator Gilbert Cedillo

[email protected]

(916) 651-4022

Senator Ellen Corbett

[email protected]

(916) 651-4010

Senator Robert Dutton

[email protected]

(916) 651-4031

Senator Tom Harman

[email protected]

(916) 651-4035

Senator Christine Kehoe

[email protected]

(916) 651-4039

Senator Joe Simitian

[email protected]

(916) 651-4011

Senator Tom Torlakson

[email protected]

(916) 651-4007

Senator Leland Yee

[email protected]

(916) 651-4008

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Since all vehicles in Kalifornia have to be smog inspected every two years back to 1976 anyhow, it just means $50.00 a year more in inspections.
This bill changes that inspection from bi-annual to annual. :huh:
I suppose some may consider it a big deal. I am almost immune to further litigation.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand. I've got to deal with annual safety inspections unless I buy 2 year tags. Going to go around that little rule with the Vette- register it as Historic/Collectible. Got a 1000 mile a year limit, but seeing as how it's only had 7700 miles put on it since 1974, I don't really consider it a big deal.

I recall New Jersey tried to crush every car that was old enough to drink. Never did get away with that did they?

·
Registered
234 Posts
pod

i have had enough of this, every year the leg is late ur, comes up with this crap to extort money out of the hot rod crowd by just threatening to tax us for something else. they are just looking for a few more bribes.... they have girl friends to buy Mercedes for . My house is for sale since May. screw them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not just the extra $50 per year. It's also the time you have to spend getting the car tested. And then making any repairs you may need to make to get it to pass (yes, you'd have to make them the next year, I realize--but all other things being equal, I'd much rather have that extra year!)

Make no mistake. This is just another step towards ultimately squeezing older cars off the road--for good. Look where the extra funds raised go: to purchase older, theoretically higher pollution-producing cars for crushing.

It doesn't bode well for future generations of Corvette enthusiasts either. Some younger people may be put off by the prospect of having to have a 15-year-old-or-older car inspected every year. Again, it's not only the money--it's the extra hassle of arranging for the test.

If California's elected officials had the honesty and courage to really take on the major sources of pollution, this kind of diddling around wouldn't be necessary. But classic car owners are, relatively speaking, an unorganized group with no political clout. And who make no major campaign donations.

Guess who's gonna get the shaft?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I honestly feel Vette owners have nothing to fear. Did they fall in the crack,yes. Are they being targeted,no. Are they after the old,smokey pick up trucks and such, yes. I have seen many old POS driving around that should not be allowed to. One of these POS emits more smog than 10 new cars.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yep,

I got in front of a Prius the other day and hammered it so they would get a good dose of hydrocarbons.

How much pollution is created to build a new car? Calculate that.
Here we go. There is a direct coralation between the decrease in Pirates on Earth, and an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Don't get me going on Kalifornia, and air pollution.....there is nothing so filthy as a tree.....

the reason there is less 'pollution' out there is they have cut down a LOT of trees for added suburban/city growth....been nearly 50 years now....that's a lot of trees gone, and so the air is cleaner....

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Here we go. There is a direct coralation between the decrease in Pirates on Earth, and an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

no, my point is i'm tired of snooty ass bitches looking down on my from their new SUVs thinking i'm a major contributor to global warming.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yep,

I got in front of a Prius the other day and hammered it so they would get a good dose of hydrocarbons.

How much pollution is created to build a new car? Calculate that.
:rolling: I do that too, every time I see one of those tree huggers in a prius I hammer it to compensate. However, it's so much more polluting to build a prius, not even talking about when they have to scrap it. The prius is just a marketing hype, it gives people the feeling that they are contributing to a cleaner environment, they're not.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Yet more bad news......

"The other bill Schwarzenegger signed will close a loophole that allowed cars 30 years and older to avoid the state's stringent smog check tests."

"The other car bill, authored by Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, will end the state's practice of allowing any car that turns 30 to avoid smog checks.

The measure, AB2683, met with angry opposition from many car collectors, who bombarded Lieber's office with what she characterized as "thousands of e- mails, phone calls and letters.''

Lieber spoke Thursday from her Bay Area district office, which remained under CHP protection because of a death threat she received related to the measure."
If these bill's are "only" about "another tax" , fine. I think everyone here can handle $50 extra every year. (skip a couple "lattes" a month) But, if these bill's are meant to take "OUR" hobby away (and I believe this is the reason) we need to have a "properly worded" script, written by someone that will "accurately" hit the talking points needed to halt this advance on our freedoms and life style. Are there any attorneys here that would be willing to draft such an e mail, for everyone to sign ???? This is not just a California deal. It will come to your state. Especially if they see "funds" can be generated by this bill.

Here's a little juicy fact that most people do not know.... California State sponsored vehicles, do not have any smog devises installed. The reason given for this..... fuel millage is increased by foregoing these devises, saving the state millions every year in fuel costs. This includes all Police, Fire and any County owned vehicle !!!

Quote:

Why 100,000 Miles for Prius?

It has come to our attention that an Oregonian article about the Dust-to-Dust report was light on facts, slim on details and void of any explanations. This, in turn, turned into a bloggers’ frenzy with a key question being the life expectancy of the Prius.

To clarify:

The Prius was amortized over 100,000-plus miles for a number of reasons.

The 100,000 mile life expectancy for Prius is time as well as distance sensitive. The historical data shows early Prius models were driven an average of only 6,700 miles per year (rounded). At that rate, the vehicle would require 15 years to reach 100,000 miles. It was our determination that is highly unlikely the '05 or '06 Prius models would still be in active service let alone serviceable 15 years from today.

The reason for this is twofold: First, the first and second generation Prius hybrid technologies are rapidly being replaced by lighter, more efficient systems for the new and upcoming Prius versions.

Historically, vehicles that become obsolete have a shorter life span (in time) than existing or serviceable technology.

Second, competitive vehicles to Prius are being planned by virtually all automakers using either Prius-like dual-mode or plug-in hybrid technology (e.g. Chevrolet Volt). This competition, looking at the historic context which is all we can do, is likely to drive the value of older technology Prius models lower. We've already seen the early stages of this happening with decreasing used values for all of the original batch of hybrids.

At some point, economic considerations make it far more practical for owners (or dealers who receive them in trade) to "retire" the vehicles because a limited used-vehicle market would exist for it. Again, in Prius's case this is time, not necessarily only mileage, sensitive.

Can the Prius be driven more than 100,000 miles? Of course. The vehicle is superbly engineered. But this assumes the average Prius driver begins using the car more often. If the Prius were driven the American average of 13,000 miles per year, it would hit the 100,000 mile mark in 7.6 years, well within its attractive (financially and technologically) useful life span. In 10 years, again about the maximum for ground-breaking technology, it would have registered 130,000 miles. Mechanically, there is no logical reason for the Prius not to last 130,000 miles or more.

The latest data shows Prius owners are driving more than early Prius owners and the use of the vehicle is becoming a primary means of transportation in a household rather than a novelty. But the average annual mileage, outside of certain southern-tier states, remains barely above 7,000 per year.

Other components on the Prius, such as tires, are less distance-mileage friendly than non-hybrids of the same size and weight. For example, surveys of Prius owners by us and other research companies show barely 16,000 miles average life for original-equipment tires compared to 43,000 for Toyota Corolla. This high-tech tire uses a compound and design that reduces rolling resistance and thus improves fuel economy. But the typical replacement tire for a Prius will not likely be the OEM specialty variety, cutting both fuel economy and distance-per-battery charge of the Prius.

As for Hummer, much of the design, development and manufacturing energy costs are spread across more than just this single model. (One of the original and recent Prius disadvantages, quickly being turned around.)

In addition, the platform, power train and other mechanical components are shared with a variety of other GM products and have a significantly longer post-disposal life in the replacement market. Higher volume of components speeds manufacturing and reduces energy per-unit costs. Add the simplicity of disposing of the Hummer and the entire per-mile cost becomes lower even though the fuel economy is staggeringly worse than Prius.

And as I pointed out in the past, the energy cost per mile is unequivocally going to decline for Prius over time as the technology continues to spread across other models and the disposal/scrap industry learns how to deal with its high-tech materials and components.

Read the entire report for yourself
http://www.cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/Hidden Cost of Driving a Prius Commentary.pdf

http://www.cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not having the organized blocs of registered voters that special interest groups do; and not having the substantial campaign contribution funds that their PACS do, all that individual citizens can do to lobby against measures like these is to tell their elected officials that they will vote for the opposition candidate in the next election.

If enough people in a given district make that statement, it gets heard. Simply because:

1. It can raise the cost of campaigning in their next election. More/stronger opposition candidates running against them means having to raise and spend more dollars to try to retain their seat.

2. Signs of a stronger opposition (poll numbers, voter registrations, campaign contributions) can encourage other groups to pour money into a district to help defeat an incumbent.

3. The only way that elected officials in a legislative body can get ahead in their careers is by getting re-elected. I don't mean that in the obvious sense--what I do mean is that political power in those bodies is gained and exercised through having seniority. The more years you spend there, the better your chances are of getting on the best/most powerful committees. And committees are where the real power (read money and influence) resides. So there is extra incentive not just to get re-elected for the sake of getting re-elected--but to gain enough seniority so that you can wield some genuine power.

If enough registered voters in a given district contacted their representatives and said, "vote for this bill and I'm going to vote against you in the next election. And I'm going to lobby everyone I know in this district also to vote against you. And I'll make campaign contributions to the opposition candidate and his or her party", then their voices would be heard.

We can't fight the enormous and well-funded special interest organizations. But we can tell our elected representatives that they may pay a significant price in the next election if they accede to their lobbying. It's pretty much the only leverage we really have. But it can be pretty powerful--if it's exercised.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
All "well thought out" points brother!!! Rest assured, those "elitist's", lobbying for the opposition to our lifestyle, are doing the same. They are tossing money and support towards "their" guys. Propelling them up the food chain, in order to gain those "support favors" down the road. Japan motors has been funding these "blog masters" for years. If we keep sitting on our asses, the new laws will end up favoring these "elitist's" view of how the US should be. They did it to our guns, tobacco and the cars we all drive today. We stood around and did nothing .GM is (for the first time in history) number 2 in the auto industry. That says a lot , to the power of Japan motors and the elitists. Take a stand for our "lifestyle" or just bend over and take what they feed you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another angle to the problem-- The "ME" generation. The younger folks have been allowed to FORGET what happened December 7, 1941, and WHO was responsible. The guys that were in the military or drafted around that time are all but gone. There are a few left, but not many. That's why IMHO, there are so many ricers on the streets. That coupled with the government's desire for a "global economy" are slowly killing the USA. Just look at all the hoopla surrounding the immigration issues. The rich want to keep the really cheap labor, be it Mexican, Chinese or whatever. The poor (the ones that want to work) make more by drawing welfare, which keeps the immigrants working.

Sorry for the rant!:drink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I saw the first post I just about sucked the chair up my rear, but after looking up the legislation, it appears that the pre-1976 exemption will not be lost. The bill only makes the cars over 15 and less than 30 years old be tested anually. If this is as strong as the bill gets, I can live with it. If the emissions standard change, it would be worth the fight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, just look at the historical trend in emissions legislation; it's all been in one direction: stricter standards.

First there was the 30-year 'rolling' exemption. That got killed, and replaced by a fixed pre-and-post-1976 rule. Now, just a few years later, it's proposed that 15-year-old-and-older cars be compelled to have annual smog inspections.

Wanna bet that the special interest groups are just going to be waiting for enough data to come back, showing how many 'old' cars are failing their annual emissions tests? Think Ms. Lieber and other like-minded elected and non-elected politicos won't seize that opportunity to push for even more stringent laws, citing this new 'worse polluters than modern cars' evidence?

These people aren't stupid. They know they can't get everything they want in one piece of legislation. So they string it out, figuring that the public as a whole won't object to this gradual process. Each step along the way seems 'reasonable'--"hey, they gave us a thirty-year rolling exemption!"

Oops.

Oh, well. "Hey, at least they left our 1976 exemption alone!"

Yes, they did.

For now.

This is a terrific issue for them. They look like environmental 'heros' to their political supporters, and that brings them continued contributions and electoral assistance. And there's no equivalent organized/powerful/influential opposition to worry about.

If anyone thinks that the politicians and special interest groups who back this particular law are going to be satisfied and leave older cars alone after it passes and is--of course--signed by Governor "I really want to be elected Senator" Schwarzenegger....

I know of a really terrific bridge in New York that you can get for a song...

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Quote:

The Senate has approved aggressive new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards that raise the bar to 35 miles per gallon by 2020. Currently CAFE figures are distinct for cars (27.5 mpg) and trucks (22.5 mpg), but the new standards do not distinguish between vehicle types.

The compromise legislation took the form of an energy bill amendment, but did away with provisions to increase fuel economy annually by four percent each year after the 2020 35 mpg goal is reached. Also broomed was a $29 billion tax incentive package that would’ve given breaks to both plug-in hybrid owners and alternative fuel producers.

The Senate’s 65-27 vote is seen as an important step, but the new standards have a long way to go before they are enacted into law. Next, the bill goes to the House of Representatives for approval, and if it survives there, it will still have to avoid a presidential veto. The House is presently pushing forward with an energy bill that has no such fuel economy mandates, so it will be interesting to see if this new bill can pass muster.

Watch what happens to the price of food over the next few years, as the farmers realize they came make more money by switching crops from food to corn fuel. The choice will be "do we by our oil or our food from over sea's" Then watch what happens to the price of everything else as the truckers are paying double for fuel for the delivery of EVERYTHING you own. Mexico is starting to look like a "great place" to live

1 - 19 of 19 Posts