Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Polo Green is still my favorite color on the C4.

Car looks great Nick!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for all the great comments guys !!
Sorry I haven't been on the boards much the last couple weeks, been really busy so thanks for posting the pics Jeff.

Unfortunately I'm having to make a decision to either sell the car or move.
As you can see from the 1st picture Jeff posted, not the one Patrick posted that's Jeff's house, we live in a townhome. We have lived here for 7 years during which time we've always had 3 cars, before the Corvette I had a Camaro. The association board members are now giving us a hard time about having the Corvette in the garage, I think the main problem is they don't like the idea of me storing it there during the winter months. When we moved in 7 years ago there was no such rule prohibiting this. After talking to a neighbor a few doors down who has a 2002 black coupe who is in the same boat we are, I learned that the association passed an amendment to the parking rules about 4-5 years ago which prohibits keeping a "dormant" or "ocassionally used " vehicle in the garage if it forces an "active" vehicle to use the driveway as it's primary parking space.
I can understand they want to minimize wear and tear on the driveways which they maintain and also to keep clutter to a minimum throughout the neighborhood. My beef is this was not the rule when we moved in otherwise we wouldn't have moved there. My daily driver is a 2002, it's not an eyesore nor is it leaking oil onto the driveway. In addition why is this the first time we are being harassed about it if the rule was changed 4-5 years ago?

I thought of getting a lawyer but I'm not sure we have enough legal ground to stand on to win, even though the rule was changed after we moved in it was also changed before I bought the vette. If I still had the Camaro, which I had when we moved in, I think it would be a different story. Although I'm not sure the board members know when I bought the vette, my next door neighbor happens to be the president of assoc. and he knows I didn't have it when we moved in. We have always been on pretty good terms with him, or so I thought anyway. I have put up with some of his **** over the years and noticed him violating rules himself, in fact it's going on right now he still has his Xmas decorations up. The rule is 30 days before and after the holiday.
I never say anything in an attempt not only to be a good neighbor but to have the favor returned in the event something like this would come up someday.
The wife said there is no way she is going to make me sell the Vette, that would have to be totally my decision but I have considered it as an option. We also talked about moving, which in all likelyhood is the route we are going to take. I can't see that this would be worth the cost of legal fees to fight it that way.
I have written a letter to the board pleading my case in hopes they will allow us to keep the vette with the assurance I would store it somewhere else next winter, hopefully by then we will have moved.
It's a shame to see people driven out of thier community over something so trivial as this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nick,

You have a few too many busy-body neighbors with too much time on their hands. :spanked:

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but that is why I REFUSE to move in any area with an "owners association". If you rent a home, that is one thing, but when you are a homeowner you don't need crap like this.

Off-site garage space in my neck of the woods is between $125 and $175 a month. My dad has the same problem with his house in the northern burb, so I feel for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nick, I would assume as long as you drove the vette once a week or so they cant say anything, it would not be considered storing a car if you still used it on a somewhat "regular" basis, that is a total bullshit rule, we should go over and beat down whoever is giving you a hard time or just send over Mookie, Jigga and Afroman :D

Being serious I would at least ask an attourney what he/she thinks, I have a good lawyer that I have used at a bunch of closings, if you would like I can get you his number.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mike, thanks and even though I most likely will not call I would appreciate that number, feel free to email it to me. Any idea aprox what it would cost just to consult w/ him about this ? Like I said, I don't want to start throwing money at this especially if we are going to move anyway. Seems like a good time to do that with interest rates so low, only downside is housing prices have jumped .
Anyway, in the letter I wrote to the property manager, who sent me the warning letter , I stated that with spring around the corner I will be driving the car on a regular basis again . I agreed to store the car somewhere else next winter if I won't be driving it. In the response I got he said he would pass this along to the board for consideration but that it sounded reasonable to him.
In fact he also has a 3rd summer driven car as well.
I will just have to start driving the vette more , even if it means I only drive it in circles around the island in our cul-de-sac a few times a week :D

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick, I have 5 excellent lawyers. Two of which deal solely in contracts/agreements/nasty-letters. Let me know if I can help too.

I do know for a fact that associations cannot pass unreasonable rules. I think this would fall under that category.

Also, lawyers usually consult you the first time for free.

I know you don't want to ruffle the associations feathers, but there are boundries and limitations about what they can and cannot do. Some people just like making rules because they can. Power trip.

Consult a lawyer. Let me know if you want some names/numbers. I send them so much flippin business they owe me a favor.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Patrick, thanks for the offer I just may take you upon that.
I'm not really worried so much about ruffling feathers, just looking to be "reasonable" and solve this with the least amount of effort. I was pretty infuriated by the letter initially which came last Friday. It was a good decision to put some space between that day and my response which came on Monday, I'm glad I did otherwise I may have ruined any chance I have of solving this right off the bat. -lol
You know the old saying "you can catch more flys with honey"
I am going to wait for an official answer from the board before moving forward. I am attempting to solve this in a friendly manner first . I imagine my efforts would only make my case stronger if legal action is necessary. Especially with the President of the association in violation of a rule.
I'll let you know if I need those numbers, or if you want you can email the info to me when you have some time.

There are bigger issues the board should be dealing with, like why our mail is rarely delivered before 5pm every day. They should be looking at ways to save us money on our monthly assesments, etc... Instead the majority of thier time is spent harrassing people about petty rules such as this.

All I can hope for is when we move out the new neighbors are a nightmare. I'd like to sell the place to drug dealers or something. At the very least some very noisy disruptive people who have parties all the time . I'm tempted to tell our realtor there's an extra % incentive if they can find the worst possible people to buy our place. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
vettn94 said:

All I can hope for is when we move out the new neighbors are a nightmare. I'd like to sell the place to drug dealers or something. At the very least some very noisy disruptive people who have parties all the time . I'm tempted to tell our realtor there's an extra % incentive if they can find the worst possible people to buy our place. :D
Now that sounds just like something I would do :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
vettn94 said:
[All I can hope for is when we move out the new neighbors are a nightmare. I'd like to sell the place to drug dealers or something. At the very least some very noisy disruptive people who have parties all the time . I'm tempted to tell our realtor there's an extra % incentive if they can find the worst possible people to buy our place. :D [/B]
That sounds like a good plan Nick! :partyon: Hang in there, hopefully things will work out for the best.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here's the latest and last update.
I got an email from the property manager of our association this morning. He talked with the board President and they have decided to NOT enforce the parking rule until next winter.
I'm glad I took a level headed approach to this, goes to show what a little bit of kindness or ass-kissing whichever you prefer to call it, can do.
The wife and I still plan to move but this gives us more time without having to deal with storing the vette someplace else. Worst case if we don't move before next winter I will have to find a place to store the car , which in all honesty I don't mind considering how cold this winter has been it would be nice to park in the garage, something I have not done since never-lol.
So all is well, for now anyway or atleast until they come up with some other riddiculous rule like no walking on the sidewalks.

Thanks for all the support and great comments guys.
Patrick and Mike thanks again for your offers to hook me up to get
lawyered up, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I suggest a soprano's style beating for the folks from the association :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts