1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Top US scientist gets 14 years for child sex abuse

Source

2:15PM Saturday February 03, 2007

LOS ANGELES - A top US scientist known as the "father of gene therapy" was sentenced on Friday to 14 years in prison for molesting a young girl after his victim told the court that the sex abuse nearly drove her to suicide.

William French Anderson, who won international acclaim for his work as a geneticist, was convicted in July of sexually abusing the girl, who is now 19, over several years starting when she was 9.

Anderson denied the charges at trial and his lawyers argued that he was guilty only of pressuring the girl to do well in school. The 70-year-old scientist resigned in September from the University of Southern California Gene Therapy Laboratories.

The sentence was handed down after the victim, who travelled to Los Angeles from the Midwestern college she now attends, told the court that she would live with the pain of the molestation for the rest of her life.

"It didn't just end after he took away my chance of having a normal childhood," she said. "It didn't just end after he tried to rip apart my family. It didn't just end when I was on the edge of suicide in high school. It didn't just end when I finally went to the police or when he was convicted and it isn't going to just end today."

The victim testified that Anderson touched her private parts as she was hanging from a punching bag. He later performed "medical exams" when she was naked and would thrust on top of her as she lay reading a comic book.

Defence lawyers asked for leniency based in part on Anderson's age, saying a long prison term would amount to a death sentence. Anderson argued that he should remain free so that his research could benefit society, and he was joined in that request by several prominent scientists.

....what....??.....he wants to do more exams......:laughing:......:nuts:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks Norm1
It's when they include links that really scare me.

Luckily it has been beaten into my head to never click on a link, whether it is on a website, a text message and certainly not in an email... ever.

I just hope my fellow DC'ers know that too.

On a good note... how many days are left until spring-summer? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts