Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Everything on that page brings back a memory. I always wanted that baking powder powered submarine, but never got one. As I got older, I want a candy striper :laughing: -- and I actually got one! My girlfriend (and wife of 42 years) was a candy striper when she was a freshman in nursing school. We actually have that exact little ceramic Christmas tree with the tiny lights, and we still put it out every Christmas. It went from my wife's grandmother to her mother to us -- and it still works. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Pretty cool, brings back lots of memories. Hey Tex, I did have one of those subs and it was a blast to play with. Also, don't know why I remember this (seeing I can't remember where I put my car keys now) but my phone number was Glenview 45592. That was 55-60 years ago.:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Pretty cool, brings back lots of memories. Hey Tex, I did have one of those subs and it was a blast to play with. Also, don't know why I remember this (seeing I can't remember where I put my car keys now) but my phone number was Glenview 45592. That was 55-60 years ago.:laughing::laughing:
Yep, I remember when they added a digit. Until I was 9 or 10 years old, our number was Express 5756. They added the 7th digit and it became Express 1-5756. At least it wasn't BR549 like the one in Hee Haw. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I had a couple of those subs. The one's that came in the Kelloggs Corn Flakes box. Had to be the mid 50's when I was around ten. Mom got pissed because the baking powder kept disappearing.

The old TV brought back memories. My Grandfather had a round screen Zenith and when I came in from school the programming was just starting. I remember the Kate Smith show and sometime around 11:00 PM the Station would sign off and play the Star Spangled Banner to a pic of the Flag waving.

Here in eastern KY we probably had TV maybe 8 hours a day.

The old washing machine was cool also. Grandmas Maytag had a gasoline engine on it and a foot pedal starter. Electricity wasn't in all the homes yet.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There are very few things on that page that I don't remember vividly!

My first phone number in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, N.Y. was Esplanade (pronounced Es-pla-nod) 2-2373. You needed to dial ES 2-2373, I think...can't be sure I was only about 7 when that number changed, but I believe that number is correct.

I hate looking at nostalgia from the 40s, and 50s, and even the 60s. My heart is warmed for a few seconds, and then I'm terribly saddened by the loss.

When my parents had that phone number in 1949, I used to walk to the DeLuxe movie theater every Saturday with friends to see the latest Buster Crabb movie. The DeLuxe theater was just around the corner, a block down from our apartment house.

Today, the DeLuxe theater building is still there, and it still has a marquee. Only now it says, American Muslim Society.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I'm 42 and I remember about half of the page very well!

BLK 1 :buhbye:
46 and remember a little more than half :laughing:

I remember the ceramic Christmas trees, both mom and grandma had one,and I believe my sister has one of them now.
Think there are a couple of those old aluminum ice trays lingering around the house somewhere.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Thanks.

Now I feel old.

I remember ALL that stuff.

Still have some:laughing:

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
:agree:

I remember most of those items.

Amazing how time passes by.
If you really remembered most of them, you would have said.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away" :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
:laughing: :laughing:

I could spend all day on that page! :thumbsup:

I still refer to recording a show on TV as "taping" as I in "I will tape the game". Young people look and laugh.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I do too! Try looking at them when you talk about "recording wax"... as in vinyl for you youngsters. :laughing:
I have a buddy that is a coach in a Major college footbal program.

Every couple years he sends me a fact sheet about the upcoming group of freshman recruits so he and fellow coaches can relate to them.

Things like they don't know how to write cursive. They can't remember time with out cell phones, They have never bought, played a vinyl record, they have no clue who general westmoreland is, etc.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have a buddy that is a coach in a Major college footbal program.

Every couple years he sends me a fact sheet about the upcoming group of freshman recruits so he and fellow coaches can relate to them.

Things like they don't know how to write cursive. They can't remember time with out cell phones, They have never bought, played a vinyl record, they have no clue who general westmoreland is, etc.

Matt, that's nothing...ask the average High School graduate today,...

Which came first WWII, or the Vietnam War?

Which country/counties, was the United States fighting in WWII?

On what continent are those countries located?

Who is the current Vice-President of the United States?

Is Peru located in South America, or Europe?

Here's a map, show me Greenland.

The average H.S. graduate today, would fail to answer most of those questions.

Really sad.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Matt, that's nothing...ask the average High School graduate today,...

Which came first WWII, or the Vietnam War?

Which country/counties, was the United States fighting in WWII?

On what continent are those countries located?

Who is the current Vice-President of the United States?

Is Peru located in South America, or Europe?

Here's a map, show me Greenland.

The average H.S. graduate today, would fail to answer most of those questions.

Really sad.
I know grown folks who couldn't answer some of those questions! :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts