Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, I'm a recent convert from "that other place." Some there know me as CA-Legal-Vette.

That name was the result of trying to import a federal car into California and trying to find someone that knew the regs. Didn't work out but not because of the lack of help.

Instead, I bought an 81 parts vette and have been working on it ever since. Still have the 81, a more or less stock L81 with a 200-4R. I have also recently added a 73 vert. The engine was toast, so I'm currently working on a nice little replacement, a 400 small block. Hope to have it in and running by the end of the month.

Mike

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
Hi Mike, glad you are here. I know CA reg are impossible but can you tell us what some of the hurdles were and what the final straw was

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike, glad you are here. I know CA reg are impossible but can you tell us what some of the hurdles were and what the final straw was
Turns out there really was no hurdle. If you have a federal car, you only have to meet federal specs. That means you only have to acheive the emmisions output that the car was intended to do. The caveat is that you have to have the original emmisions equipment in place. This can be a big hurdle for many.

The other thing that I learned is that the application of these rules various to rediculous levels. Some will pull out a spec book and really check it over. Some will look at it and say 'cool car' and let it go at that.

The reason that I didn't go forward with that car is totally unrelated. The guy had removed one of the valve covers and didn't want to put it back on. Car couldn't be driven that way and the shipper wanted an additional $600 for a non-running car. The seller wouldn't spring for it and I walked away.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Welcome to DC 73 Mike... I know what you are talking about, I walked away from California about 17 years ago...:laughing: .

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi ya !

I am getting ready to install a ZZ454 I just bought ,A GM crate engine in my original 71 BB 4 spd car with the original hood, I will put the original matching #'s in my garage and put the ZZ in to drive and enjoy, I wonder if anyone knows what kind of issues I will have to deal with, like hood clearance,front brackets, pwr string ,carb etc? any info will be appreciated,I will be starting this project in about 2 weeks. Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts