Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - my name is Chris. I'm a big-time gear head and a fan of almost all cars, but I have a special spot in my heart for GMs and most importantly, I love Corvettes.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of owning one, but I'm hoping to in the next few years.

I'm 32, married, and have an 18 month old with a baby on the way, due in November. I'm an HR manager for a pharmaceutical company and live in the Philadelphia area. I also write (for free) for a website called autosavant.net just for something to do. I spend a lot of time hanging out at GMInsideNews (which is how I found out about DigitalCorvettes).

For big purchases, it usually takes me a year of asking/nagging my wife to get her blessing. I'm planning on at least 18 months in my quest for a Corvette (which would be our third vehicle). The clock started ticking last week.:D

By the way, our current rides are a 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 and a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Welcome to DC... Sounds like you need to get back to driving some good old American muscle...:buhbye:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to DC... Sounds like you need to get back to driving some good old American muscle...:buhbye:
You're right! The Corvette has always been my favorite car, ever since I was a five year old and my dad had a new white 1980 coupe and he and my mom would have me sit in the cargo area when they went places. :)

The last "American muscle" I owned was a 1999 Grand Prix GTP (supercharged), but actually I enjoy driving my Accord more than I enjoyed that nose-heavy thing. A couple of cars before that, I owned a 1993 Olds Achieva SCX five-speed.

I've never owned anything with a V8 before, though (I've driven several).:lookinup:

BTW, awesome Z06! I'd love one of those more than anything, but they are totally out of my price range. I heard my first "live" one at full throttle last fall on the road past my house, and I thought it was a race car from the exhaust note. He turned right into my development and I almost passed out right there in my driveway. I had considered offering him money for a spin around the block!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Welcome to DC. The wait will be worth it, trust me. Tain't nuttin' better than a big ole V8 under the hood of a Crovette, you'll love it when the time comes for you to get one. Hope you can convince the wife in your set time frame.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm feeling welcome here already.:thumbsup:

Any tips/tricks for convincing significant others to go along with my devious plans to have a small block and six speed in my garage next year? :cheers:

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Just so you know i am on the same boat trying to get the misses on going to purchase a vette so all i have to say to you is GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just so you know i am on the same boat trying to get the misses on going to purchase a vette so all i have to say to you is GOOD LUCK
Cool - you thinking about going new or used?

I really want a new one, but $50k plus is a HUGE pill to swallow (though $3,600 in GM Card earnings (blue card - no redemption limits!) does help a little). My second choice would be a slightly-used C6, and my third choice would be a C5.

Maybe I'll try start with a well-cared-for C5 to get my feet wet and then work my way up from there.

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
A 2001 and i have been trying for at least 5months begging pleading and almost crying she says we can spend the money on something else she doesnt understand the feeling you get

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First I thought I wanted to get rid of my Accord - but I did tell her when I got it that I'd keep it for 100,000 miles, and it's only at 56,000 right now. But I really wanted a 2008 CTS, or Infiniti G35.

Now, the more I think about the financial sense of keeping the Honda - which has been a great car for me, no matter how boring it looks - the more I think I'd rather devote that money to a Corvette instead. Problem is, with a CTS or G35, not only are they cheaper than a Corvette, but I'd also be trading in the Honda, which I couldn't do for a Corvette (I'd need to keep a sedan for rainy days, hauling the family, etc.), so that takes about $15k out of the pot that I would have been able to use as a trade-in toward the new ride.

Maybe I'll wait until bonus time next Februrary...or two Februarys from now. :)

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Best of luck for whatever you decide the guys on this site will probably tell you to buy now but remember you are the one who has to live with your wife good luck from chuck a

·
Registered
574 Posts
Keep the spirit alive, and you'll guarantee yourself the chance to own an amazing car. I'd always wanted a Vette since I was a child, too. Well, that and a Camaro. I now have both, and each one is so very special to me in their own ways. The Corvette is a constant reminder to me of what I can do when I try. A great car offering a great feeling. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the welcome notes everyone!

As I mosey around DC tonight, I'm thinking that maybe this wasn't the best choice for me if I ever hoped to cure my obsession with buying a Corvette.

It's all good, though. When I'm finally ready to get one, I'll be well researched! ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I threw a Hail Mary to my wife (I forget the overall context of the conversation) but it was something like, "Can I get a Corvette this month?" and she said "no," then I asked, "Can I get a Corvette next year" and she said "maybe."

I pointed out that she let me chink her armor much faster than expected this time.:partyon:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hi Chris :buhbye:

For big purchases, it usually takes me a year of asking/nagging my wife to get her blessing.
I know what you are going through. I started with my wife in 03 with the 50th anniversary special. At that time we were looking to move so the timing was bad but I did eventually get mine in 06.

What finally did the trick for me was to take her with me to go test drive one. After she drove it, she was sold.

The supporting dealers on this forum offer great deals from time to time, and that may be your ticket in to a new vette. (Check out the C6 purchasing forum, last I saw was like 7k off sticker, and another one for like 750 under employee pricing)

Welcome, and good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts