Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the HID headlights, and just wanted to know how you guys felt about them now that you have them installed. Is the install fairly straight forward? How much power do these things suck? I've got the halo led tail lights and it seems that every time I have my headlights on the leds don't have enough juice and blink fast. Any problems with these things that you think of?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the HID headlights, and just wanted to know how you guys felt about them now that you have them installed. Is the install fairly straight forward? How much power do these things suck? I've got the halo led tail lights and it seems that every time I have my headlights on the leds don't have enough juice and blink fast. Any problems with these things that you think of?
thats not due to the headlights, its due to the LED's not having the same load as conventional lights which means the lights will discharge faster... you need to look into getting some load resistors, this must be done in most cars whenever you change to a turn signal LED instead of a conventional bulb

as far as HID's, you'll get optimum light output around the 4300k-4600k range, anything higher or lower and you'll lose lumens and if your thinking about getting those nice purple lights then you might aswell stick with conventional bulbs ;)

they're really easy to install from what ive seen, just mount the ballasts and its like changing a factory bulb, you just hook in the harnesses :)

oh and FYI, some japaness made kits, while not inferior, have reversed polarity so if both of your headlights wont work and the ballasts are connected the same way try simply reversing the plug ;)

hope this helps :)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
oh and FYI, some japaness made kits, while not inferior, have reversed polarity ...
So does that mean that when you turn them on it sucks the light out of the outside and it turns dark out? :laughing:

Actually I have a set of HID's ordered from Nate at Corvette Garage and they are due here anytime. Really looking forward to getting them

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was acutally looking at the ones on corvette garage. I'm going to have to put my order in:thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Do it soon. Nate has the price reduced from 999. to 799. Now is the time

·
Registered
5 Posts
C6 Style HID? Who has em!

Been looking for a form fitting style HID system and finally seen some pictures. Not many but they are out there. Who has em and if there are any pictures of them on please post :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Moved your thread over here with the rest of the HID talk kblair3d

·
Registered
121 Posts
So does that mean that when you turn them on it sucks the light out of the outside and it turns dark out? :laughing:

Actually I have a set of HID's ordered from Nate at Corvette Garage and they are due here anytime. Really looking forward to getting them
:laughing: sorry, said that weird :laughing:

guess i really was that tired yesterday :thud: :smack

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Are these the same lights that Tybrne was promoting a few months back. If so, I'm glad Nate @ Corvette Garage posted a nice picture (yellow vette) of the lights installed. I've been looking for a real picture, however would love to see some of our DC members' installations.

I would love to do this mod, however I want to see the black and chrome housings on different cars before I decide.

Is the install really as easy as the plug and play described?

·
Registered
121 Posts
plug and play unless your changing housings... and like i said, you need to mount the ballast somewhere so that can take a lil time to figure out, other than that with 99% of the hid kits you simply take out the old bulb, put in the new one and take the old harness and plug it into the ballast

not the best guide IMO but its better than nothing-
http://www.acceleronics.com/HID/HIDinstall.htm

·
Registered
145 Posts
The lights Nate @ Corvette Garage is selling are similar to the one's that another CF member was selling before he ran into some financial problems.

I have the installation instructions for those lights in a pdf file. They are not hard to install, but it is time consuming. First time installation will probably take about 6 hours.

I have decided to go with a fixed headlight system as I feel it will look better with my body kit.

·
Registered
618 Posts
$110 kit from ebay (6000K kit)
draws 7.5 amps per bulb (installed an inline relay for peace of mind)

Most difficult part was getting the headligh bucket out of the way cause the previous owner over tightened things.

Using the stock headlight housings will give you alot of glare especially with the 5000-6500K bulbs. I solved this with a set of vinyl headlight blackouts. not only do they look cool, but they drastically reduced glare without a significant effect on light output.

I was so happy with them I got a set of H3 HID bulbs 3000K for my HELLA Micro DE fogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts