Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Hail Maries banned, too?

A high school football player in Tacoma, Wash., got flagged for dropping to his knee and pointing to the sky after scoring a touchdown during a playoff game.

"It's just something I do every time I get in the end zone,” said Ronnie Hastie, a Tumwater High School running back. “To honor my Lord because I play for him. I give him the glory because he's the one that gives me the strength."

Although Hastie’s strength may be divine, high school referees are apparently not.

He was called for unsportsmanlike conduct, a 15 yard penalty—the same amount of yards a lineman would receive after steamrolling a quarterback well after a play.

He apparently broke a Washington Interscholastic Activities Association rule that bans players from drawing attention to themselves.

“I thought it was pretty crummy that kids can't give thanks in public," one Tumwater fan told Q13 FOX.

Sid Otton, Tumwater's Head Coach, says the referees made the correct call.

"If it's a rule and they made it then I agree with it because it's in there,” said Otton. “I admire the young man. He's a great player, great person off the field.”

The penalty did not affect the outcome of the game. Tumwater defeated East Valley 63-27.

Hastie says the next time he scores a touchdown this season he plans to play by the rules.

"I'll change it for the team cause they are the most important we don't want the penalty," said Hastie.

Tumwater will play in the 2A State Championship on Saturday at the Tacoma Dome.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/01/high-school-player-flagged-touchdown-nod-god/#ixzz16xdrxK2k

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
He apparently broke a Washington Interscholastic Activities Association rule that bans players from drawing attention to themselves.

This about sums up what I think:

"If it's a rule and they made it then I agree with it because it's in there,” said Otton.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Looks to me like an organized suppression of free speech.. :lookinup:
Yep, it's all part of the PC process to equality.

The ref blew the call. He wasn't calling attention to himself, he was giving thanks to God, whom he was grateful to for giving him the ability to run like Forrest Gump.

I bet if he was a Muslim, did that, and chanted Allah Akbar! the OTHER team would have gotten the penalty. Then again, he probably wouldn't be running around with a 'pigskin'.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
So if a player spikes the ball after scoring a touchdown does he get a penalty? I'd say someone throwing a ball down is drawning attention to himself.

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Looks to me like an organized suppression of free speech.. :lookinup:
Yeah but freedom of speech does not apply in football games, just like it does not apply in private business and organization and private property and a lot of other places, the first amendment is a rule of the federal government and not for every place and organization.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if a player spikes the ball after scoring a touchdown does he get a penalty? I'd say someone throwing a ball down is drawning attention to himself.
This kind of rule is so broad, vague, and open to interpretation, it makes anything a violation.

Throw your arms up a la Brett Favre? Penalty.
Spike the football? Penalty.
Jump into the air? Penalty.

The object in play is to remove individualism and exceptionalism. Equality, but since the majority are quite average, you have to drag the exceptional down to their level. Anytime you hear someone, especially the left, talk about equality, their goal is dragging everyone down to the lowest level, not bringing anyone up to the top level.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah but freedom of speech does not apply in football games, just like it does not apply in private business and organization and private property and a lot of other places, the first amendment is a rule of the federal government and not for every place and organization.
If this league accepts any percentage of taxpayer money, ALL amendments apply. Private corporations that do not accept government funds, can do what they like. Once they sign onto take taxpayer money, they also sign up for the rules that go with that money.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If they ever apply this to baseball, the Latin players will have to play with handcuffs on to keep from breaking the rule. :crazy:

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
If this league accepts any percentage of taxpayer money, ALL amendments apply. Private corporations that do not accept government funds, can do what they like. Once they sign onto take taxpayer money, they also sign up for the rules that go with that money.
So it's unconstitutional for public school teachers to tell students to keep quite in class?

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
If they ever apply this to baseball, the Latin players will have to play with handcuffs on to keep from breaking the rule. :crazy:
Possibly, but what they'll most likely do is have them give a 'mandatory donation' (tax) to allow them to 'opt-out'. That money will then get funded to ObamaCare and funding for the lawsuit against Arizona. The advantage here is that over 100 government jobs will be created, paid with our tax dollars and not directly from the 'fund'.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
So it's unconstitutional for public school teachers to tell students to keep quite in class?
Good point, but I believe so. Because an unruly or distractive student is violating the civil rights of the other students by preventing them from learning...how to text. sext, cyber-bully, etc.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No. Causing a disruption in a classroom, and celebrating a TD in a football game are quite different.

A badly needed element is common sense.. and in this country, it's in very short supply.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
This kind of rule is so broad, vague, and open to interpretation, it makes anything a violation.

Throw your arms up a la Brett Favre? Penalty.
Spike the football? Penalty.
Jump into the air? Penalty.

The object in play is to remove individualism and exceptionalism. Equality, but since the majority are quite average, you have to drag the exceptional down to their level. Anytime you hear someone, especially the left, talk about equality, their goal is dragging everyone down to the lowest level, not bringing anyone up to the top level.

I know you aren't the ref that threw the flag but I want to know if anyone in that game spiked the ball and were they flagged.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
A badly needed element is common sense.. and in this country, it's in very short supply.
Especially on the West Coast. Those people are so eaten up with their political correctness, that they have lost all common sense in their rule making.

Sports, by definition, attracts attention to individuals. That's why it's called a competition. Even team sports have stars. Why would you even try to keep from singling out oustanding plays or players?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Considering the final score, on the last TD the whole team should have gotten down on one knee in the endzone, pointed to the sky and then in unison told the ref to stick his penalty flag in the ass of the moron that made up the rule.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Thats a completely BS call. I fail to see how dropping to a knee is "drawing attention to himself." What if he high fives a team mate? What if the QB high fives a lineman? Are they drawing attention to themselves? If so, why is scoring a touchdown and drawing attention to yourself illegal and any other play/player is legal?

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Good point, but I believe so. Because an unruly or distractive student is violating the civil rights of the other students by preventing them from learning...how to text. sext, cyber-bully, etc.
That makes sense.

So lets break this problem down.

1. Does unsportsmanlike like conduct violate the rights of other players?

2. Is drawing attention to yourself unsportsmanlike?

3. Does praying after a touchdown draw attention to yourself?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That makes sense.

So lets break this problem down.

1. Does unsportsmanlike like conduct violate the rights of other players? No, it's a competitive and emotional game.

2. Is drawing attention to yourself unsportsmanlike? No. It's a competitive game.

3. Does praying after a touchdown draw attention to yourself? No.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts