Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an add for a high torque starter.... it boast it produces 200 lb/ft. Im not sure how this would work or if its just a load. so if anyone knows i'd appreciate their input of what to expect from this or if its worth it. thx

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
high torque (GEAR REDUCTION)starters have a gear reduction drive in ADDITION to the geared advantage the standard starters have, a standard starter has aproximatly 9 teeth , your standard corvette flywheel has either 153 or 168 teeth for either a 17:1 or an 18.6:1 advantage, high torrque starters have smaller less powerfull motors but add a 3:1 to 4.5:1 additional gear drive advantage, look at it this way, it may take 100-150 ft lbs or more to turn over an engine against the compression. if a standard starter has X ft lbs of force available, thats X x17 or lets say 160 ft lbs for an average lbs of peak tq, a high tq starter may only produce 1/2X ft lbs but thats 1/2X x 3 x17or 50% more ft lbs of force, thats 50% more torque at the fly wheel, but that gear reduction causes the engine to spin faster only up to a limited rpm range (usually its more than enought) and keep in mind the gear reduction starters comonly weight about 10lbs less and provide more header clearance
heres an example

standard starter

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
so is it worth it?

if you need the space yes,

and how much of a net gain can i expect over stock?

almost none, its a space saving and weight saving part , not a horsepower produceing part

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
grumpyvette,

There is a guy in my area that has one of those high torque starters on his Mustang. It sounds god awful when he starts it up, like the teeth on the flywheel are getting chewed up. His motor is stock. Is that the normal sound of a high torque starter?

I was thinking of getting one when my heavy stock size chrome starter goes. Is there a disadvantage to using one on a stock motor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts