Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering if anyone has successfully swapped a ZR-1 or alater model tach that has a higher redline into '91 vette. My new engine will be capable of turning 7,500 rpm's, but my factory tach only goes to 6,000 rpm's. Based on what I have read, the ZR-1 cluster and the later model clusters that have higher rpm tachs are not interchangable with the '91 L-98 equipped cars. I thought about maybe tying to get just the tach itself out of the cluster and swap it for a higher rpm one, but I don't want to tear it up if it won't work. Has anyone ever tried this?
BTW, If I don't change the tach, will I burn it up by nailing the needle against the peg every time I stomp on the gas?

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Based on what I have read, the ZR-1 cluster and the later model clusters that have higher rpm tachs are not interchangable with the '91 L-98 equipped cars.
Where did you read that?

here is the Correct answer:

90-91 L98 Clusters ARE interchangeable with 90-91 ZR1s

92-96 Clusters are interchangeable (all 3, LT1, LT4, ZR1)

you CAN use a 92-96 cluster in a 90-91 BUT you need to swap out the LCD with the one from the 90-91, the LCD is aone MAIN difference.

Also with the 92-96 the out edge Idiot Lights don't match correct so a couple have to be rewired.

I have a 96 Lt4 Cluster in my 91 dash, using a 90-91 LCD panel and rewired the correct idiot lights. works fine

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you read that?

here is the Correct answer:

90-91 L98 Clusters ARE interchangeable with 90-91 ZR1s

92-96 Clusters are interchangeable (all 3, LT1, LT4, ZR1)

you CAN use a 92-96 cluster in a 90-91 BUT you need to swap out the LCD with the one from the 90-91, the LCD is aone MAIN difference.

Also with the 92-96 the out edge Idiot Lights don't match correct so a couple have to be rewired.

I have a 96 Lt4 Cluster in my 91 dash, using a 90-91 LCD panel and rewired the correct idiot lights. works fine
Thanks, I couldn't ask for a better anwer than that. I simply read that the other clusters wouldn't work, but they didn't say why. Now I just have to find a cluster. Anybody got one they would sell?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts