Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I'm coming to the DC family for help-
Those of you who have after market hoods, have you noticed any "spider webbing" in your paint? I bought my vette last year and noticed several cracks in the paint (in the lower center). When I open my hood everything seems ok,
but when I lower it I have to make sure I pull from the center, other wise the hood will flex slightly until the hood pistons start to close. I want to have my hood repainted but I'm not sure how to prevent the spider webbing from returning. Any suggestions? Is it possible to add more amounts of flex to the paint? Take the pistons off my hood? Because of the limited space in the engine bay reinforcing the hood w/braces seems impossible...

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
You say that you bought the Vette with the hood and the cracks?
I would think that it had bargin paint job done on it. Just get it repainted.
Oh yeah, I have the Carivaggio high rise hood. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
highrise hood

Thanks spiderpat I was thinking it was a poor paint job, probably didn't use any flex or poor prep work.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
i usually walk to the front,get a microfiber towel and push it down in the middle pretty firmly and i go all the way down with it until its closed

i have a mcm high rise hood

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
high rise hood

Thanks for your input guys. I will try going to the front and pushing the hood down,that might help push the struts down easier than pulling from the top.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hood paint cracks

I have a Motor City Mold carbon fiber high rise hood that has some "flex" when closing but the hood (stock) pistons follow very smoothly. Paint, after market, is and has stayed flawless.

Terry B. 02 Manacharger Z06

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Thanks for your input guys. I will try going to the front and pushing the hood down,that might help push the struts down easier than pulling from the top.:thumbsup:
:excited:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
any updates on how it went?:huh:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
highrise hood

Thanks for the hint bigred ,it works great. This winter I'll start sanding down the hood and front bumper for a spring paint:cheers:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
always nice to hear a good turnout :thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Once again I'm coming to the DC family for help-
Those of you who have after market hoods, have you noticed any "spider webbing" in your paint? I bought my vette last year and noticed several cracks in the paint (in the lower center). When I open my hood everything seems ok,
but when I lower it I have to make sure I pull from the center, other wise the hood will flex slightly until the hood pistons start to close. I want to have my hood repainted but I'm not sure how to prevent the spider webbing from returning. Any suggestions? Is it possible to add more amounts of flex to the paint? Take the pistons off my hood? Because of the limited space in the engine bay reinforcing the hood w/braces seems impossible...
yes, the problem often is that many of these hoods are made very crappy and the heat stresses the fiberglass and causes this. You could repaint but the stress cracks in the paint will come back. I'm actually going to go with a CF hood at the end of this years racing season as the same thing is happening to my hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts