Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time, Hispanic students make up a majority in Texas public schools. Coming to a state near you.

AUSTIN -- For the first time, Hispanic students are in the majority in Texas public schools.
The Texas Education Agency reported that Hispanic students accounted for 50.2 percent of the 4.9 million children enrolled in public schools in the state, including pre-kindergarten and early childhood education, in the 2010-11 school year.
Last year, Hispanics made up nearly 49 percent.
"This is a continuation of a trend that's been developing for a number of years," TEA spokeswoman Debbie Ratcliffe told the El Paso Times. "Our Hispanic population is our fastest-growing group of students."
An estimated 2.48 million Hispanic students are enrolled in Texas public schools.
Texas lawmakers are dealing with a projected multibillion-dollar budget shortfall in the next two-year spending period, and funding cuts for public education are likely.
Steve Murdock, a former Census Bureau director and past state demographer, has said that if the state does nothing to change the education system, the average Texas household in 2040 will be at least $6,500 poorer than it was in 2000 and about 30 percent of workers will not have a high school diploma.
"The future of Texas, for anyone looking at this, is tied to our minority population and our young population, and how well they do is really how well Texas is going to do," Murdock recently told lawmakers.
State Sen. Jose Rodríguez, D-El Paso, said Texas will have to invest in education to compete.
"The greatest challenge is, how do we provide the educational opportunities for these Hispanic students, the future labor force of the state," he said.
Hispanics have historically lagged in graduation rates from high school and college. In December, census data showed that counties on the Texas-Mexico border, which have mostly Hispanic populations, have high school graduation rates behind the rest of the state and nation.
Of the nation's 3,147 counties, the three least-educated counties were the Texas border counties of Starr, Presidio and Maverick.
"The rapid growth of Hispanic families should be a catalyst for serious reform in Texas' education system," said Salvador Balcorta, CEO of Centro de Salud La Fe, which runs La Fe Preparatory School in El Paso's Segundo Barrio.
"For too long, the funding needs of our teachers, aging schools and students in low-income areas have been neglected," Balcorta said in a statement. "Hispanics have become the first in our nation to drop out and the last to head to college." Balcorta said Texas must work to eliminate the economic, language and technology-access barriers for Hispanic children.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/24/2948768/hispanic-students-now-in-majority.html#ixzz1HcKIJzTF

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a signal of a broader demographic change in the state. If you had lived here all of your life, you probably would not like the light speed shift that is converting our state into Mexico North. I have nothing against Hispanic people. But illegal immigration has driven this demographic sea change, and it appears it has only begun because Obama has decided we can live with it. You can look down your nose at us now. But when it hits your state, you won't like it either.

· Premium Member
2,074 Posts
like I noted another post. there is an elementary school in Austin on south congress ave that has the typical outside marquee board. I have yet to see the writing in English and I have driven by it at least monthly for the past 2 years.

· Registered
19,496 Posts
Yes it's an invasion. They're taking their land back.

:lookinup:

I say the US should invade and conquer Mexico. Maybe they'll go back home if Mexico was considered U.S.?

· Banned
9,722 Posts
It's a signal of a broader demographic change in the state. If you had lived here all of your life, you probably would not like the light speed shift that is converting our state into Mexico North. I have nothing against Hispanic people. But illegal immigration has driven this demographic sea change, and it appears it has only begun because Obama has decided we can live with it. You can look down your nose at us now. But when it hits your state, you won't like it either.
Considering that Texas was originaly actualy Mexico North, I find it funny that you bitch about it's return to it's roots. Next you will be complaining about all those spanish named cities....you know like El Paso, Amarillo, Del Rio, Eldorado, La Hoia, and dozens of others.
Face it Tex, the fastest growing demographic in this country is hispanic and that does not mean that they are illegal, it just means that they are good Catholics and breed like the church demands. The census shows that the vast majority of growth in this country came from the hispanic demographic. On the one side they helped states like Texas gain seats in congress. On the other side if the republicans keep up their relentless attack on all things hispanic...those seats could end up in Democratic hands. Just Imagine...the south gets huge gains in political clout again due to population shifts, but the population increase comes from a group that the majority republican south has vilified and angered, so they move the south towards the democrats. Now wouldn't that be stupid of the republicans. The one smart thing Bush did was court the hispanic community, because he understood that they would become an important demographic. Too bad those Republicans that liked him think that was his biggest fault. :crazy:

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Considering that Texas was originaly actualy Mexico North, I find it funny that you bitch about it's return to it's roots. Next you will be complaining about all those spanish named cities....you know like El Paso, Amarillo, Del Rio, Eldorado, La Hoia, and dozens of others.
Face it Tex, the fastest growing demographic in this country is hispanic and that does not mean that they are illegal, it just means that they are good Catholics and breed like the church demands. The census shows that the vast majority of growth in this country came from the hispanic demographic. On the one side they helped states like Texas gain seats in congress. On the other side if the republicans keep up their relentless attack on all things hispanic...those seats could end up in Democratic hands. Just Imagine...the south gets huge gains in political clout again due to population shifts, but the population increase comes from a group that the majority republican south has vilified and angered, so they move the south towards the democrats. Now wouldn't that be stupid of the republicans. The one smart thing Bush did was court the hispanic community, because he understood that they would become an important demographic. Too bad those Republicans that liked him think that was his biggest fault. :crazy:
I realize that complaining about anything involving race opens one up for criticism. All I can say is if NJ found itself 50% Hispanic in 10 years, you would be grumbling too. When TX was Mexico North, there were very few Mexicans here. There were very few people here at all. The Mexican government did almost nothing to support the few people here until the Texans decided to claim the land. Then Mexico decided it was worth fighting for. As more and more Mexicans come here - mostly illegally - they are bringing their gangs and the violence that goes with them. I have lived in DFW for most of 60 years. For the first 50, it seemed like a pretty stable culture. But in the last 10 years, everything has changed, including the language in many areas. If you haven't seen it happen, you probably can't understand, and you will just criticize the people who make note of the change.

· Registered
5,203 Posts
Face it Tex, the fastest growing demographic in this country is hispanic and that does not mean that they are illegal, it just means that they are good Catholics and breed like the church demands. .......
Boy the Left can spin like nobodys business :smack

OUR Government both GWB and Barry have let this happen. Its almost like by design. After 10+ years of open borders what do the think the end result would be? You can call it race, but you can stick that too.

Imigration is ONLY supposed to be lawful (enforce the exsisting laws) they are there for this specific reason. Texas and the other 49 states are what makes up the USA not the people south of our boarder:smack

The Hispanic population has risen something like 43% in the last 10 years and that not because of applications, its by illegal immigration and having babies here and all of us will now pay for this:lookinup:

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find it interesting that it is pretty much the same group that yells America! American! when it comes to jobs and merchandise, that runs you down when you point out that America and Americans are being overrun by non-citizens and their progeny. So which is it? Foreigners are not good enough to take our jobs, but it's OK for them to slip in illegally and take over our culture? :crazy:

· Registered
874 Posts
Food for thought: I am of a hispanic background family has been around since fighting for the independence of Texas. So of course I have a vested interest in how the state is faring. I cannot stand the whining of the Hispanic community about how they need somebody to teach their kids in Spanish because they are too lazy to learn it themselves. I say suck my balls. My family pushes so hard for education parents and grandparents were teaching me to read write and make observations on common sense things since birth. So whats all these new guys excuse? You have no idea how pissed I get when somebody come up to me speaking Spanish when I don't even speak it. Ten years ago this kind of crap would never happen. It is ruining everything for the ones doing stuff right.

· Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I'm sure several of the border state will realize you can no longer fund schools through property taxes and other ownership "fees" soon it will have to switch to fees n purchases to have the usage base cover the costs. Even illegals have to buy food and stuff.

· Registered
874 Posts
I'm sure several of the border state will realize you can no longer fund schools through property taxes and other ownership "fees" soon it will have to switch to fees n purchases to have the usage base cover the costs. Even illegals have to buy food and stuff.
Some countries are like that high sales tax but there is virtually no property tax. That would be nice not being punished yearly for wanting more out of life and purchasing a home.

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Food for thought: I am of a hispanic background family has been around since fighting for the independence of Texas. So of course I have a vested interest in how the state is faring. I cannot stand the whining of the Hispanic community about how they need somebody to teach their kids in Spanish because they are too lazy to learn it themselves. I say suck my balls. My family pushes so hard for education parents and grandparents were teaching me to read write and make observations on common sense things since birth. So whats all these new guys excuse? You have no idea how pissed I get when somebody come up to me speaking Spanish when I don't even speak it. Ten years ago this kind of crap would never happen. It is ruining everything for the ones doing stuff right.
The established Hispanic community in my area has been one of the most stable and hard-working segments in our society. The new generation coming in - mostly illegally - contains a very violent and criminal group that is not good for the community. And, like you say, the educational system can't keep up with a sudden change to Hispanic children who speak no English. There are a lot of difficult problems for our state as a result of illegal immigration.

· Registered
874 Posts
:agree: spot on. Unfortunately no amount of motivational speaking or government raise your kids for you type program can fix this. Quite simply the people must educational/financial status on their own and I just don't see that happening. This coming from a self made guy who likes to see people do well.

· Registered
4,428 Posts
I realize that complaining about anything involving race opens one up for criticism. All I can say is if NJ found itself 50% Hispanic in 10 years, you would be grumbling too. When TX was Mexico North, there were very few Mexicans here. There were very few people here at all. The Mexican government did almost nothing to support the few people here until the Texans decided to claim the land. Then Mexico decided it was worth fighting for. As more and more Mexicans come here - mostly illegally - they are bringing their gangs and the violence that goes with them. I have lived in DFW for most of 60 years. For the first 50, it seemed like a pretty stable culture. But in the last 10 years, everything has changed, including the language in many areas. If you haven't seen it happen, you probably can't understand, and you will just criticize the people who make note of the change.

NJ Hispanic Population 1,424,000
% of NJ Pop 16%
K-12 274,000 Students
US Rank # 7
Hispanic % of K-12 19%
US Rank 10

· Banned
12,108 Posts
like I noted another post. there is an elementary school in Austin on south congress ave that has the typical outside marquee board. I have yet to see the writing in English and I have driven by it at least monthly for the past 2 years.
And I DO have a problem with that.

Millions of legal mexican immigrants overrunning whites, I do not.
Bush allowed this to happen also.
So did all your votes in your gun totin big money, republican racist Jim Crow law state with macho cowboys and steel fences linning the texas state border, with your so called "before Arizona, tough on immigration, vehicles pull over laws"

It's in your hands.
You have the "Take America Back" conservative districts and powers.
Pubs want all the district and state power, yet want the potus to wipe their butts and change their diapers when the work gets dirty.

Boo hoo.
Outbreed them.
Become More racist, so maybe they will leave.
Poison their food.
Vote in some ****ers that arent all talk with no action.
Not these pussy whinny baby racist tea baggers that dont know how to do **** but stir the pot.

This post is made upon a racist article and viewpoint.

You never see any articles about illegal canadians, or dutch.

some people here like you have good points, like the govt run school....(um.......it better not be private school) and it's methods, .....

But too many here are just unless crybaby racist viewpoints that do nothing but drag our country down with racism, hate, class wars, sepratism.
This is no less than Nazi Germany and the Jews.

· Banned
12,108 Posts
NJ has it's large population of italians, and other immigration.
So does Chicago, Tampa, cubans ect....
NY and Michigan have the largest muslim populations in the united states.

There are no immigration limiters in place to prevent any race creed or faction from overrunning the so called ....

What was it preacher called me? a non colonial?...:laughing:

......White anglo saxon colonial americans.

please excuse any typos..
I have a allergic rinitis and a mild eye infection right now. :(

· Banned
12,108 Posts
Boy the Left can spin like nobodys business :smack

OUR Government both GWB and Barry have let this happen. Its almost like by design. After 10+ years of open borders what do the think the end result would be? You can call it race, but you can stick that too.

Imigration is ONLY supposed to be lawful (enforce the exsisting laws) they are there for this specific reason. Texas and the other 49 states are what makes up the USA not the people south of our boarder:smack

The Hispanic population has risen something like 43% in the last 10 years and that not because of applications, its by illegal immigration and having babies here and all of us will now pay for this:lookinup:
This is why, during all those... cry baby, Arizona is suffering...pit party threads we had........All fookin 60 or more of them...
I kept repeating that we need immigration reform, not some stupid harassment laws, and billion dollar predator drone fleets, and armies patroling the desert border.

Our country has a population problem.....right now, a severe economic problem that has only begun.

· Registered
5,203 Posts
And I DO have a problem with that.

Millions of legal mexican immigrants overrunning whites, I do not.
Bush allowed this to happen also.
So did all your votes in your gun totin big money, republican racist Jim Crow law state with macho cowboys and steel fences linning the texas state border, with your so called "before Arizona, tough on immigration, vehicles pull over laws"

It's in your hands.
You have the "Take America Back" conservative districts and powers.
Pubs want all the district and state power, yet want the potus to wipe their butts and change their diapers when the work gets dirty.

Boo hoo.
Outbreed them.
Become More racist, so maybe they will leave.
Poison their food.
Vote in some ****ers that arent all talk with no action.
Not these pussy whinny baby racist tea baggers that dont know how to do **** but stir the pot.

This post is made upon a racist article and viewpoint.

You never see any articles about illegal canadians, or dutch.

some people here like you have good points, like the govt run school....(um.......it better not be private school) and it's methods, .....

But too many here are just unless crybaby racist viewpoints that do nothing but drag our country down with racism, hate, class wars, sepratism.
This is no less than Nazi Germany and the Jews.
This is one of those examples of its better to be thought to be wrong than print and leave no doubt I think :crazy:

Didn't your mother ever explain that too much of anything is not good?:lookinup: You REALLY believe that millions of illegals is justified? :surprised brother thats looney toons

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.