Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I hear a hissing noise when I apply my brakes, plus it takes a lot of effort for my brakes to stop the car. From what I've read on this forum, sounds like my brake booster is bad. Can anyone give me an idea of what it cost to get this replaced at the shop?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Roughly $350 plus parts around here. Good time to buy an fsm and a toolset. Pretty basic repair you can do yourself and save some dough

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Post are correct, it is a repair that can be done at the house. Listen to grumpyvette and give everything the once over just to make sure that there isn't anything else you need to fix before hitting the road. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Very well could be either the large vacuum line or a bad booster. The vacuum line connects to the intake vacuum and then runs to a check valve at the brake booster. If the booster gets a hole in its diaphragm then it will leak vacuum. Both will cause a hard pedal.

Disconnect large Vaccum hose from booster and start car. Stick your finger over the end of the hose (booster side of hose). If the hissing is no longer there then the problem is in the booster and it will need to be replaced. If you stick your finger over the vac hose and the hissing still continues then the booster is probably ok. Check vac hose for crack, split or hole. Pull hose off of intake vacuum nipple and stick your finger over the nipple. If hissing still is present then you might have a intake gasket leak. Usually engine will run rough with this condition.
Replacing the booster is just tedious to get to the nuts that mount it to the firewall. Its not a hard job at all. No special tools needed to do the job except for maybe line wrenches if you have to disconnect the master cylinder lines to get it out of the way.
Don't forget to bleed the brakes if you open any lines up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great input guys. I'm a female, and filling up the gas tank is the closest I come to do-it-yourself on my corvette. But, do plan to recruit a family member or friend to at least inspect the vacuum line/vacuum line valve/vacuum hose/etc. per your directions. Definitely smarter to check it out first myself than to bring it in to the shop and take the mechanics word for it. ($350 plus parts? YIKES!!!)

Again, I thank you for taking the time to outline such great instructions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About to change my username to Missgrumpyvette! Just clicked on links grumpyvette provided, which definitely made me very grumpy, to say the least. So brake booster replacement will run at least $600 ($350 for labor and $260-$390 for parts)????

Please God, let it be just a vacuum line/vacuum line valve/vacuum hose/etc.!!! Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to buy a fsm and toolkit, put on some coveralls, and do it myself. (By the way, what's a fsm?)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Factory Service Manual. It will help you with every repair in the world. Who cares if your a girl, you can fix this. Besides guys dig chicks that can work on cars.:laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a few things online I could actually DO MYSELF to self diagnosis, and so tried them out.

First, with engine off, I pumped the brake pedal several times to release vacuum. Then I held my foot on brake pedal and started engine. To my relief, not only did it take much less effort to hold down the pedal, but the pedal even depressed slightly ALL BY ITSELF -- all signs pointing to it's not my brake booster, RIGHT???

Next, I started the engine (to build up the vacuum), then shut the engine off and waited 5 minutes. Then I tried the brake pedal (engine off), to see if there was any power assist. To my relief, there wasn't, which hopefully means I need a new check valve. (Which, hopefully, is a minor expense???).

Still plan to get assistance from friend to check out other diagnosis instructions you guys gave me, but from what I discovered on my own, I think it looks like I may not need a brake booster after all!!!???!!! Appreciate your input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the clarification raidmagic, and the girl power acknowledgement.

Yeah, I'm just a girl -- a girl who can fix just about anything EXCEPT my corvette. I used to attempt minor maintenance, but accidently poured a bottle of transmission/brake/or other fluid into the wrong hole one day :surprised. Decided then and there that it's best to concentrate my energies on home repairs and other do-it-yourself projects I'm actually good at.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Thanks for the clarification raidmagic, and the girl power acknowledgement.

Yeah, I'm just a girl -- a girl who can fix just about anything EXCEPT my corvette. I used to attempt minor maintenance, but accidently poured a bottle of transmission/brake/or other fluid into the wrong hole one day :surprised. Decided then and there that it's best to concentrate my energies on home repairs and other do-it-yourself projects I'm actually good at.
With the proper manuals you will be a pro in no time. It's a good idea to have someone around that has an idea what they are doing, they can point you in the right direction. With the FSM and a basic Haynes manual (bought at any parts store) you can do most anything. As for putting the wrong fluid in the wrong spot that is where the Haynes manual comes in. It goes over all the basics with pictures. You can buy them for about $30. Of course we are here to help in any way we can. That's what's so great about forums.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ebay is a good source for FSM's. FSM's are published by helm, inc. which is the publisher for GM service manuals. Very expensive new but can be had online fairly resonable price.

You probably wont find too many forums with as good as a group as this one. We all have our specialties...but the plus is that most if not all of the turds have been weeded out. Seems alot of the other forums that i have been on have alot of knowledge but then also alot of Major Turds!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts