Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so how's that you ask? Well, I am a metal detectorist and last year I relic hunted an area that has historic importance and a connection to the founding fathers of this country. Location is in Virginia along the coast. I found many buttons, buckles and silver Spanish coins. There was another area that I wanted to hunt but needed permission. I received permission to hunt that area last year early in the year. So, I hunted this area a couple times, and only found 1 colonial era button.
On October 31st, I received a call that my brother, 2 years older than me, had died.. at a young age. That weekend, i had my mother come and visit, though I took her back home on Saturday. The next day, Sunday, I decided to go metal detecting on the new permission. I wasn't there 15 minutes and found a gold ring. After rubbing off the dirt, I could see inscriptions in the ring. After more research, I found that this was a mourning ring for Richard Lee the 2nd and it was noted on the ring that he passed away in 1735!

So.. without further details, I will tell you that I sold that ring and used the money to purchase my new to me 1984 Black Corvette!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sorry about your brothers passing.
Kewl find on the ring & congrats on your 84 !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Night Stalker, Thank you very much for your condolences. It was a weird occurance, as that was only the 2nd gold ring I ever found detecting, and it just so happened to be a lost mourning ring to memorialize someone else's passing.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,728 Posts
C ool

1 - 5 of 5 Posts