Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know GM likes to share parts.... or bulbs... doorhandles... whatever to save a buck...

Spy pic...

And the Pontiac....
http://www.pontiac.com/concept/index.jsp

A customized compact that won't bust your budget, this Sunfire mixes street machine image, performance, and personal expression, with:

- Front and rear fascias, rocker moldings, and one-piece rear spoiler

- Suspension-SPO road racing/rally kit (Grand Am disc brakes and independent rear suspension)

- Motegi MR1 five-spoke wheels

- Speed Glo gauge kit (now available through GM Performance Parts and GM Officially Licensed Parts.)

SO... that said... the C6 headlights look VERY similar to this (judging by the photo of red car with the headlight showing from Vegas).

Thoughts?

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Much to the dismay of some, GM WILL use some parts common with other cars. They have to in order to keep costs down. Personally I feel if an item, whether it's a door handle, a side mirror, or even a headlight pod, if it is well designed can and should be used on other cars. This makes it possible to improve SEVERAL of the marques. The relationship between the Corvette and the XLR, for example, will be good for both. The design/production dollars will be able to be spread out over more units, making each car potentially better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi there.
It seems that we can see some C6 insight in the sunfire.
The headlamps seem to be a part that will be shared by both marques.
Next - its the front bumper of the C6. Take a close look at the shape of the gap in the front bumper - It seems to me that the C6 will have the same basic design - only it will be narrower.
The fog lamps will be aligned to the sides of the front bumper - just like the one on/in the sunfire - Any body else thinks so?
PS - take a look at the end of the headlamps = just where they end there is a minor slide - sort of a downward pattern - I am positive that this is what the C6 will look like in its basic design.
David

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
At this point, I am only certain that the headlights will be HID and WILL wrap over the apex of the fender to be partially visible from side. Beyond that ... congratulations GM, phenominal job of maintaining the information firewall. BTW, I do NOT believe the red headlight Cowger picture is the C6. It does NOT fit the Vegas Viewer's descriptions. 55 days.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Longtimer said:
BTW, I do NOT believe the red headlight Cowger picture is the C6. It does NOT fit the Vegas Viewer's descriptions. 55 days.
I sure hope You're right, that headlight is so Solstice or something
On the other hand I agree with most of You, but I'd say the C6 will only share anything with the XLR.
GM can't afford the same thing that occured at PAG when the switches of the expensive Aston and Jag actually came from a mid class Ford.
I think Lutz is smarter than that.
IMO Sunfire has NOTHING in common with Corvette. It could have if we'd talk about a Camaro, but this is the flagship of the entire GM fleet if I'm not mistaken. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Patrick are you losing it? Sunfire and the C6. Im not thinking so. I think the C6 will only share some parts with the XLR. But who knows.:)

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
That Sunfire looks cool.

I hope it doesn't share parts with the c6 though.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The C5 shared almost all of the dash switchgear with other GM products, the HVAC controls on my C5 were the same as a friends wife's Geo. The outside door handles on C5's are the same as the ones that were on the Olds Aurora and probably other GM models as well.

I would have no problem with Chevrolet taking a headlight bucket from another GM car and working it into the design of the Corvette. That's one of the main reasons Corvettes are as affordable as they are, parts sharing.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Arnie said:
I would have no problem with Chevrolet taking a headlight bucket from another GM car and working it into the design of the Corvette. That's one of the main reasons Corvettes are as affordable as they are, parts sharing.
I have NO PROBLEM parts sharing where it makes sense. The font and rear look of a car are extremely important and more often than not comprise the first impression of the car. I'm not sure what you mean by bucket. If you mean the under-the-skin mounting hardware - sure I agree. If you mean the skin and it's shape, I could not disagree more. To some of our dismay, the vette is now quickly approaching $60k. No $60k car can be successful carrying "facial" components identical to that of a $15k car - certainly not a $60k vette with picky fans such as us.

Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As long as they offer 3.5kg/hp for under 50k bucks to me, they can put whatever headlight on it, they want.
Anyway, I thougt I heard about three bulbs in the C6 headlights?
The Pontiac's headlights seem to have two bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
urbman said:
As long as they offer 3.5kg/hp for under 50k bucks to me, they can put whatever headlight on it, they want.
Anyway, I thougt I heard about three bulbs in the C6 headlights?
The Pontiac's headlights seem to have two bulbs.
:agree:

Proponents of the Cowger pic say the third light is that narrow, long light at the right edge. Regardless, the proportions are way off from the spy cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts