Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place to run my power cable through from my battery to the interior for my amp? One guy suggested the hole where the clutch would be if my car were a manual. I am having trouble finding such a hole. Also, where is a good ground location in the hatch? I just realized how poor a ground fiberglass is.............

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
On my 96 there is a rubber plug in the firewall.

Pop your hood, then crouch down on the driver side of the compartment like you are removing the battery. Look between the battery itself and the firewall with a flashlight, you will see a black rubber plug on the firewall.

That baby leads you to the interior, under the driver dash near the clutch pedal.

The best way to feed a wire is to use a coat hanger, with the end rounded over, and electrical tape the wire to it and push it through, then grab from the other side and pull.

Once you have the wire pulled through, you can route as you see fit.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't know how good it is, but I was able to attach an accessory ground wire to the mounting bolts for the rear hatch solenoid (under the plastic trim)... Works w/o any problems...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect! I'll look for the plug next time I'm at my shop. Then I can begin to rebuild and customize to my full potential. I'll be sure to check for a ground at the back of the hatch too. Thanks!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I was to lazy to remove the battery so I drilled a hoe through the fire wall then put a grommet in the hole and ran the wire that way.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where exactly did you drill that hole? Just in case my wire is too big for the rubber plug. I don't want to drill into anything important. I have lots of grommets laying around, so drilling is an option.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
It is 11" from the fender (Panel that the battery is behind) and the height is even with the top of the battery. Size shouldn't be an issue I have 1 ea. 4 gauge and 12 guage wires going throught the hole. IF I remember right you have to pull the sound deadener back to get the wires out.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to check my options. At least I know now if there is drilling involved, I know about where to go. Thanks. Once I get this stereo all installed I'll post a few pics. It should all be flush mounted with the floor, keeping prying eyes away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts