Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Holley 750 (4150) off of Ebay about 2 years ago. I had the carburetor taken apart for rebuilding and noticed that the yellow coating on the inside of the carburetor was being eaten away, down to the base metal. The flaked off pieces were crudding up the carburetor making it run poorly. I contacted Holley and this is what I found out.
The reason for the coating flaking off is that they had a bad run of carburetors, something about the zinc in the base metal not being right, so the coating would not adhere properly. The new fuels, with their higher alcohol content, hold more moisture, which in turn contributes to the corrosion process inside of the carburetor. They did not catch the problem right away, so many of them were shipped out and sold.
Now here is the good part. Holley is going to send me a new carburetor, and they even offered to ship one of the polished units at no additional charge. That kind of customer service is getting harder and harder to find. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
wow.... that is great customer service... maybe I should call them and ask about my holley carb that I got when I bought my '79.... it's only about 20 years old ...:laughing:

Hope you're getting that new carb soon :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,773 Posts
I remember there was a small window of production about 1.5-2 yearsa go where they had this problem. If anyone has a carb from that period you can call Holley and give them the ID numbers and if it's from that batch they'll send you a new carb. At least that is what they were doing last year when I looked into it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is exactly what I got. One of those carbs, with a bit of carburetor related problems, and a nice response from Holley with a new carb. on the way. This is one of the few times that something seems to be going right.

Once again, my compliments to Holley. I feel like a valued customer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts