Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently inherited a 1962 Vette and in trying to get her running one of the problems I am experiencing is determining if the Holley carburetor that is on there is the correct one. The air cleaner is super thin and when you close the hood it presses up against the hood leaving an imprint-which I am told will eventually harm the paint on the topside. In my research most Holleys were on the '64s and '65s. How do I know if I have the wrong carburetor or the wrong intake manifold? Since most carburetors I find online are not original how do I know if someone put the wrong one on to "boost performance"? I have a 327 4bbl. Someone please educate/advise me. I have the list# 1850-3, the number under the list code, 1520, which is a date code?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Hi. I recently inherited a 1962 Vette and in trying to get her running one of the problems I am experiencing is determining if the Holley carburetor that is on there is the correct one. The air cleaner is super thin and when you close the hood it presses up against the hood leaving an imprint-which I am told will eventually harm the paint on the topside. In my research most Holleys were on the '64s and '65s. How do I know if I have the wrong carburetor or the wrong intake manifold? Since most carburetors I find online are not original how do I know if someone put the wrong one on to "boost performance"? I have a 327 4bbl. Someone please educate/advise me. I have the list# 1850-3, the number under the list code, 1520, which is a date code?
The only guy here that might know for sure is Grumpy.

·
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove
5,157 Posts
A Holley list #1850-3 is a basic 600 CFM performance replacement carburetor that replaced the original carburetor on your 62.

I'm not sure if it sits higher than the original Carter carburetor that came with the car.

The original Carter carburetors were:
Carter WCFB 3190S (250 HP early production, Powerglide)
Carter WCFB 3191S (250 HP)
Carter AFB 3310S (300 HP Powerglide)
Carter AFB 3269S (Both 300 HP & 340 HP)

http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp

I don't know if there's a height difference between a Carter carb or a Holley carb, but if you have a clearance issue, you might want to verify what intake you're using.

There were three intakes used on the carbureted versions of the 62:
Cast iron (250 HP) P/N 3783244
Cast iron (300 HP) P/N 3799349
Aluminum (340 HP) P/N 3795397

The GM P/N is usually cast in the manifold behind the carburetor.

If you don't have a stock intake, that might be the real source of the issue.

Steven

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
well OldVetteFan covered a good deal, but if your thin air cleaners pressing firmly against the hood underside, Id suspect the OEM intake manifold may have been changed or upgraded at some point, most aftermarket intakes have the runners and carb base raised to over the OEM intake designs height.

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/1962-corvette-edelbrock-600-cfm-performance-carburetor-without-egr.html

youll find a great deal of related info in the links and sub links

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/casting-numbers-vin.93/#post-29983

1 - 4 of 4 Posts