Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about the horror stories about this filter....but if your engine is properly tuned, then you should have -0- problems regarding carb backfire.

My question is "How on earth do you attach it to the carb" I have a Holley 670 Street Avenger, so it should be easy to attach. I've looked at it from every angle but still don't get it. I see the bracket, but when I tighten it down, it still turns on the carb.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is hood clearance the issue? Have you considered a drop-base air filter?
Yep, this is a subtle flame on the Holley filter...:devil:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, hood clearance is not the issue. How does it attach to the carb? It doesn't have any instructions that came with it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I gave mine away to the buyer of the spreadbore off my 79:lookinup:carby was ok for a holley but aircleaner left a lot to be desired. it used a plate across top of big opening but would bend down with pressure losing all hold down force. maybe some sturdier stap or something would fix it (or a dropdown):thumbsup::D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Unsnap the two wires that hold the grill to the top of the base, remove the grill and the foam filter. The attachment nut for the bolt coming out of the carb's airhorn is under this. Be sure and safety wire the nut, or use locktite. Fibration can loosen the bolt and it can be injested into the engine. Be sure to use the rubber gasket. This should prevent the filter from turning on the carb after it is snugged down.
This "filter" will only prevent sticks, stones, and small children from being injested into the engine. I'd never consider it for a daily driver.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know about the horror stories about this filter....but if your engine is properly tuned, then you should have -0- problems regarding carb backfire.

Not really. With a carb all you gotta do is get a little agressive with the throttle on cold engine and it sneezes. Regardless of tune.

I used those before knowing better and never had one catch fire, but be prepared for the foam filter to disentegrate under normal use. They also don't ever get dirty no matter how much you use them. Not much filtering to start with, and then as the filter breaks down and thins out it lets what little dirt it's holding into the engine, along with filter bits.

This particular product should not be made.

When you say it turns on the carb, do you mean after a few miles it goes crooked by 5 degrees? They do that. Plan to straighten it out when you arrive at cruise night, and pray that constant moving doesn't cause the hidden hold down nut to loosen & drop into the carb throat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts