Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drag my "new" 86 into the shop tonight and put it on the lift to start removing everything so I can pull the motor and this thing is a BALL OF GREASE!!

I'm so used to working on my stuff and it's all pretty grease free. It's dirty but you can work on most any part of any of my cars and not get greasy. This is the first time since I pulled my motor in my car I've been covered in grease to my elbows.
Once I get it all apart and cleaned up things will return to normal:laughing:

·
Registered
872 Posts
So what are the plans for the new toy?? Mine was crazy k frame suspension even the rails had to be power washed with hot water. Ball joints were so over greased the groove in the upright was filled with grease and dirt mixed together.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures of what? This greasy hunk of crap I'm tearing apart? I will if you want them but I promise the assembly pictures will be much cooler.:D

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Pictures of what? This greasy hunk of crap I'm tearing apart? I will if you want them but I promise the assembly pictures will be much cooler.:D
Whatcha assembling there pal?:D

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you just post assembly pics we wont know if you bought it that way or not. We need before pics!! :D

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough, I'll keep this thread up to date with pictures as I go but you guys probably won't be too happy with me in a week or two.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my only pics are of the exhaust and the greasy bottom. I removed the exhaust, side rocker panels(about 4lbs of dirt in those) C-beam bolts, drained all the fluids and removed the motor mount bolts too. This weekend the hood comes off and the motor, trans comes out.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
So I drag my "new" 86 into the shop tonight and put it on the lift to start removing everything so I can pull the motor and this thing is a BALL OF GREASE!!
and so it has been named.... The Greaseball. :laughing:

I remember when I first bought my '85 (leaking valve covers). Not only did I grime through changing gaskets, but I ended up painstakingly degreasing much of the front suspension too - ugh.

Look forward to following your projects!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yea mine had crappy exhaust when I bought it. Cat material was in the mufflers and some would come out when you punched it. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
We'll then move down here! The weather is great and there is a nice house on an acre just up the road for sale cheap.:laughing:
In my experience Florida cheap is still higher than most any other state save for Hawaii and southern California.:laughing:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't wait to see what you do to my old lady lol, I'd love to come by when your done and see how much It's come along! I wish you the best of luck with it, I really wish I could have done what your doing =/

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sooooooooo even though it's a lump of **** it's still cool to have two Vettes in my shop.:laughing:

Here is how you remove a hood by yourself. Use a floorjack on the nose of the hood. No problem.:thumbsup:

Apparently there wasn't an ACE hardware anywhere near the last guys house that worked on this car. For every 4 fasteners I remove from the car I have to cut one of these off.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I guess I'm talking to myself here but I'll update the thread anyway.:laughing:

Spent a few hours out there tonight. I remember why I hate TPI's and I remember how I hate working on cars.:laughing:

I got the rad, condensor, fan, shroud and hood hinges removed then moved onto removing the intake and all wiring for an engine removal. Maybe I'll get that done tomorrow. I'm off all week so if I don't get to lazy I should get some progress done.

Click on any picture to make it bigger.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts