Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to raise my roll center so I took a set of stock spindles, cut them and rewelded carefully a 1 1/2 inch extension to the upper ball joint hopefully to raise the upper ball joint causing the upper A arm to slope down more towards the inside and raise the roll center.
I want to raise the roll center to make the car respond quicker to input from the steering and allow me to run softer front springs and a small sway bar.
I understand that the stock lower center of gravity causes the car to lean more in the corners unless stiff springs are used along with bigger sway bars.
I believe in soft springs to allow the tire to follow the road contours and not bounce over it. I also like the softer ride for both me and the car itself. I do not want to shake it causing rattles over time.
I understand that raising the roll center helps cut down on the lean of the body with soft springs, changes the camber curve and transferrs input from the steering quicker into the tires then with a low roll center.

On the weekend Mike gave me a set of spindles from his 78 parts car. I was waiting for a winter project but couldn't resist the urge to do one now. I cut the spindle in 2 just above the brake caliper boss bolt , beveled the cut surface until it was only a thin, very thin point, added a equeally beveled 1 1/2 inch spacer block, jigged the whole thing and spend about 1 hour with a mig welder building in the ground down spaces.
I then ground the welds and polished the area with sand paper and finally sand blasted.
The only thing I have left to do is paint but I wanted you to see the surface before it was covered up with paint.
Double click to blow up for detail.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
good work:cheers:

Are those cast iron or a steel?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
raidmagic said:
Nice work I hope you get the expected results.:thumbsup:
Always Wave if they were cast iron I could not weld them. Look at the parting line, it is very thick, about 1/4 inch. That shows they were forged and the forging are steel so welding is not a problem.

Raidmagic I don't know what the results will be, I do alot of testing. For the tie rods I have 4 different sets that have all been tested on my car. If you have done a few spindle changes you will find they are not hard. The spring does not have to come out, just supported by a jack and all my bolts and nuts are well lubricated and eazy to remove. I could probably change a spindle in about 1 hour so if they don't work I will just pull them and try something different.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Beautiful work. I'd love to get more involved with fabricating. Actually, I'd just like time to even wash the vette!

I've been a bit busy for the last 5 years.

:laughing:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
norvalwilhel said:
Always Wave if they were cast iron I could not weld them. Look at the parting line, it is very thick, about 1/4 inch. That shows they were forged and the forging are steel so welding is not a problem.
That's why I asked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts