Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know out there, besides my '69 Vette project, I am also building a street rod from a '38 Dodge business coupe. As with many hobbies, some of the knowledge from one niche of a hobby can help others. I have been dabbling on some rodder websites and have come up with a very cost effective way of manufacturing your own "Lizard Skin" sound and thermal ceramic coating.

It appears thet the magic ingrediant in lizard skin is ceramic micro-spheres or "micro-balloons" as they are known in the RC aircraft business. The lizard skin product appears to be a latex (based on the fact that it is water clean-up) bonding agent mixed with these micro-spheres.

I have read enough on the subject online that I am sold on making my own "lizard skin" at this point. I am using "Henry" Latex Elastomeric roof compound (from Home Depot - $59 for 5 gallons) mixed with "micro-balloons" purchased through Wicks Aircraft supply ($7.50 per gallon). The gal at home depot even put some color into my white elastomeric compound to roughly match the color of my hot rod (vs. white).

I will post more later on my findings. I have a 5 gal. bucket of latex bonding agent ready to go, and when the micro-spheres arrive from Wicks I will be ready to mix and shoot the insulative product.

More info can be found here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alte...in-103610.html

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...160/index.html

http://www.hytechsales.com/buy.html

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is going to be interesting!:thumbsup:

If you are on to something here it'll be a great solution to heat and noise. The down side of Lizardskin was always the cost, though it isn't much more than Dynomat.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is going to be interesting!:thumbsup:

If you are on to something here it'll be a great solution to heat and noise. The down side of Lizardskin was always the cost, though it isn't much more than Dynomat.
There are alternatives to Dynamat too. Apparently known as peel-n-seal or something along those lines and available at lowes/home depot. It is discussed in one of the links I provided.

I am convinced that i am going the right direction with the elastomeric compound and "micro balloons".

·
Registered
910 Posts
I get the microballons at fiberglass supply, if they are the same as you are using. I make my own epoxy body filler out of it. I was always under the impression that the microballons were a foam based product and not ceramic.

There is a place local that makes a ceramic latex house paint here that garantees a reduction in radiant heat from the hot Florida sun. They also make rubber roof paint, but it's about 200 bucks/5 gal.

http://www.allwhite.com/id10.html

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wear a good mask when working with the glass micro-spheres. I was told they are very hard on your lungs.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys - I'm way overdue on my project update.

After stripping the floor clean, I coated the steel floor with a brushed coat of POR15.

After drying a day or two, I seam sealed all the seams in the floor and firewall areas with an automotive seam and joint sealer.

I let this set up another day or two and then sprayed the alchohol based zinser primer on. The gal at Home Depot tinted the primer and the Henry's elastomeric roofing compound for me (blue)

I ended up mixing to a ratio of about 2.5 gallons of elastomeric compound (Henry's) to 2 gallons of microspheres. After seeing how thick the mixture was, I decided to roll it on which worked very well. I used a brush for tight spots and a smaller roller where I could fit it inside the doors. I spent several days applying a number of coats - probably about 5 coats which is likely more than required. I have since let the concoction sit a few weeks and I am now beginning to wire the car.

The result is a tough, almost bedliner type of coating that has taken the "ring" out of the car when you tap on the steel. Remember my test project (before doing my Vette) is my '38 Dodge biz coupe street rod which is all steel. I even coated the inside of the roof, doors, etc...

Anywhere I could coat the interior I applied the material and the amount I mixed was enough for any interior. I will probably half the recipe for the vette (or less).

I still plan to use additional insulation (peel and stick) and expect the ride to be cool and quiet (except for my exhaust).

Here are some pics:

After priming with Zinser

The materials for the "Homemede Lizard Skin"

Mixing - take your time - please wear a mask!!! I still have a way to go at this point - should be uniform in consitency and color when ready

The finished project - whallah!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice. What did the home made brew cost you?
The 5 gals of Henry's was $59 (only used half of it so I've got leftover).

The 2 gallons of microspheres were $15 (2 x $7.50)

The primer was under $20 and I had the POR 15 leftover from another project. 2 tubes of seam sealer was another $20.

So the total was ~ $115 plus maybe $10 for a roller and heavy nap sleeve which I tossed afterwards.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The 5 gals of Henry's was $59 (only used half of it so I've got leftover).

The 2 gallons of microspheres were $15 (2 x $7.50)

The primer was under $20 and I had the POR 15 leftover from another project. 2 tubes of seam sealer was another $20.

So the total was ~ $115 plus maybe $10 for a roller and heavy nap sleeve which I tossed afterwards.
Sounds reasonable. Let us know the results next year.:laughing:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, we'll have plenty of heat to help test things next summer (hell it was 94 here today).

·
Registered
1 Posts
still active

Is this thread still active. I see it's been a couple years since it was posted...
I was curious on the final outcome.

I was also curious of a "guessimate" on how many square feet a mixed gallon would cover.??
I only have one vehicle to do... just don't want to have a bunch to throw away

I'm working on a 1946 Studebaker pickup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but since I’m a new member it wouldn’t let me message you directly. Would you still recommend this method? How’d you like it? Do you still have pictures, the original ones don’t show up anymore. Thanks for any help.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,895 Posts
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but since I’m a new member it wouldn’t let me message you directly. Would you still recommend this method? How’d you like it? Do you still have pictures, the original ones don’t show up anymore. Thanks for any help.
I PM'd him and gave him a link to the thread. I don't know if he will respond or not

Reactions: kemper07
1 - 14 of 14 Posts