Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my L88 long style hood and the darn thing doesn't fit right. The corners of the hood almost hit the windshield. Do these things need to be trimmed or is this just the wrong hood all together.:huh:

Help please....

Here you can see were it doesn't line up.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I'd remove it and send it back. That hood should fit near perfectly right out of the box.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I think your Vette has SHRUNK..:laughing:

Good luck..I'm with Ponch, send it back..

ZEP

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I couldn't deal with that.....I guess I'm to lazy :laughing:
Well, when you use a hood designed to eliminate the wiper door mechanism, it's customary to re-work non-original pieces to achieve an acceptable fit. Add the fact that it's an aftermarket part...well, fit quality is secondary to price.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trim as required. Welcome to the "Custom" world. You can shave a little off of the front edge to help a bit. :cheers:
One would think they would get almost an exact fit, this sucker is way off.

Thanks for your input.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
One would think they would get almost an exact fit, this sucker is way off.

Thanks for your input.:thumbsup:
No problem. I've been doing this for a long time, and have seen this many, many times. You can send it back, but no guarantee the next one will be any better. They come out of the same mold. (if bought from the same vendor)

·
Registered
218 Posts
The original wiper door has some trim that goes on the edge and I know that trim carries over to the fenders as well. I wonder if you added the fender trim back if it would line up?

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The original wiper door has some trim that goes on the edge and I know that trim carries over to the fenders as well. I wonder if you added the fender trim back if it would line up?
Hmmm....great question. I don't really know.:huh:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
:agree: where are your upper fender moldings?
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-351364-front-fender-molding-kit.aspx

They should help take up much of the gap, but it still won't line up quite right. There is a lip on the back edge of the wiper door that you won't have at the back of the long style hood. That's not the vendor's fault, that's just a result of subtle body changes from year to year on the C3 and putting a later style hood on an early style car. With a little extra work I'm sure you can make it look like it was meant to be there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Something is definetly not right here.

I cannot imagine that their mold is that far off. Normal "fitting" of an aftermarket hood should include nothing more than trimming the gaps.

The area inside the red circle looks strange to me as it wings out???

On the other hand, the area inside the blue circle looks short based on the exposed window trim. That bare end is generally down behind the fender. I think you're missing the top trim on the fender. :thumbsup:

Is it normal to see the bottom raw edge of the windshield on the older models???? On my '79, you cannot see the bottom edge of the windshield with the hood closed.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
:agree: where are your upper fender moldings?
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-351364-front-fender-molding-kit.aspx

They should help take up much of the gap, but it still won't line up quite right. There is a lip on the back edge of the wiper door that you won't have at the back of the long style hood. That's not the vendor's fault, that's just a result of subtle body changes from year to year on the C3 and putting a later style hood on an early style car. With a little extra work I'm sure you can make it look like it was meant to be there :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Something is definetly not right here.

On the other hand, the area inside the blue circle looks short based on the exposed window trim. That bare end is generally down behind the fender. I think you're missing the top trim on the fender. :thumbsup:

Is it normal to see the bottom raw edge of the windshield on the older models???? On my '79, you cannot see the bottom edge of the windshield with the hood closed.
:agree: But being she is not using the same center trim that is located on the old wiper door it would look a little funny with the trim ending at the hood.

if the hood fit is up to snuff on the other 3 edges, and the hood latches work, I too would cut off the "wings" on the corners. (its not structual) like stated previous, when using after market custom parts modification is expected at most times. but I would be more concerned the hood open, closes and latches correctly just my nickels worth

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think what is needed is a combination of using the trim and modifying the hood and trim to make it look right. Without the trim the edge of the windshield molding is seen and that looks a little funny as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts