Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the hood off doing restoration work, put it on, open and closed a few times doing adjustments - hood latch on the passenger side will now NOT let go. Can get drivers side up several inches. Tried pulling the cable manually, it moves, but the latch just will not let go. Any suggestions on how to access it ?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I have experienced something similar on an 81, not sure the latches are exactly the same as 76 but they likely are. The first thing I'd do is try to get a look at the offending latch with a borescope. There are a bunch of them available on the internet that work with a smart phone and they are inexpensive. Since you can get your hands on the cross cable you might try pulling on the cable while a buddy pushes and shifts the hood around a little. Most of the time (in my experience anyway) a stuck latch is due to the latch (on the hood) binding in the striker (the part bolted to the firewall). If that's what it is, jostling the hood around while the release cable is being pulled will often make it release.

Above all, be patient and methodical. If you get frustrated put it all down and come back later!

Keep us posted on what you find!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts