Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver side is unlatched but passenger side wont. the hindges arent on it so i have a little play. I was told you can do it from under the car but i tried and couldnt get anywhere close to the latch. Any suggestions? I was wanting a new hood so i thought this would give me a good reason. rip that sucker off. jk.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
In the wiper compartment on each side is a rubber plug, hole, 3/4" or so. Look with a pocket mirror. You can take a screwdriver and reach through and pop the latch. Look, and fart around. You'll get it. Best to try it once with the hood open to see. Too late for you.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here's a neat little tool I saw over at "C3 Registry" or www.c3vr.com
I stole this from their site so please be hush-hush and don't tell anyone. ;)

The following was posted in a thread:

mkapp 7879 wrote.........
"Thought I'd post some pics of my handy dandy emergency hood release tool(before someone gets out the sawzall!). As some have found, a screwdriver can be difficult to use for this with the hood actually closed(as opposed to practicing with it up). Made this a few years ago since I do have 4 Vettes with this type of latch. Simply a 1/8" X 3/4" X 24" aluminum stock from Home Depot. A few strategic bends: slightly bow it in the middle and bend the 2 ends , one end about twice as much bend as the other. On the driver side, insert into the access hole from the outer most edge of the hood with the slight bend DOWN and just push (NO twisting). The passenger side must also be released using the tool. Raise the wipers, insert the tool straight in with the sharper bend UP and simply push. You're simply pushing down on the finger that the cable pulls on."

·
Banned
125 Posts
If the cable to the other side is intact just pull up on the hood reach under and pull on the cable.If its attached at both ends it will release.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can crawl under with a flashlight and look up in the passenger side of the engine bay and see the bottom of the hood latch. I had the same problem with my new hood until I got it adjusted correctly. Dont know if it will be easy if you A/C tho.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After you get the hood open or when you install a new one, try this procedure. It has worked for other’s I know and it worked for me.

First align the hood for gaps with the male part of the latch removed. Then when you have your gaps, reinstall the male "pins" for the latch. But DO NOT CLOSE THE HOOD YET!!!!! Next go to the pass side and put tape over the female part of the latch on the hood. Now put some grease on the very tip of the male part and SLOWLEY lower the hood till the grease on the male part just touches the tape. Now you have to adjust the male part till the grease mark when you lower the hood falls EXACTLY in the center of the hole in the female part Yes it is time consuming!!! When you feel comfortable that the pass side is good DO NOT CLOSE THE HOOD YET!!! Now go to the driver’s side and repeat what you did on the pass side. When you are confident that both sides are centered in the hole then close the hood, say a little prayer and pull the hood release It should open. If all goes well then you can set the height at the latches by either screwing or un screwing the male pins for height.
Good Luck and don't rush!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its open!!

I tried technique with the screw driver and I got nothing, then I got frustrated and began "farting around" and pop it opened. Worked great. Thanks. But now i dont have a good reason to get a new hood :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts