Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to change my hood to a L88 hood on my 82. After reading all the threads it sounds like you either buy a hood with what you want ($$$$), or you put a L88 scope on your current hood.
I have a 75 L88 hood I found locally that I want. (or at least its on a 75 anyways) But from what I reading I'll have to do all kinds of mods to the latches to get them to work in the stock form, that the radiator supports might be in the way and have to mod the hood even more. I thought about using different latches like smooth hood pins and dump the hood release.

Am I reading this right.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,481 Posts
Are you talking about pins with a kingpin (multiple use cotter pin) through them? Personally I wouldn't since I think they are tacky looking. I would opt for grafting a scoop on my current hood

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about pins with a kingpin (multiple use cotter pin) through them? Personally I wouldn't since I think they are tacky looking. I would opt for grafting a scoop on my current hood
Oh no, wouldn't want pins sticking through the hood an a cotter pin holding it down. There are several company's now that offer some pretty cool looking hood pins. Quick Latch and Aero Latch have some and you can get them in locking versions too.

for the price they are asking for this hood, I'll probably get the hood and if it doesn't work then I'll graft the scope onto my hood.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
the punisher

The odds of that hood lining up with your '82 body lines are slim

·
Registered
511 Posts
The odds of that hood lining up with your '82 body lines are slim
I had that same opinion when i was looking for a hood back when i had a 1981 Vette.
Wouldn`t have changed the perfect stock hood if it wouldn`t have been necessary due to a motor swap (higher intake).

The L88 on the smooth 81 did not look right to me, compromise was we used a L88 scoop so it merged into the front piece of the ´81 hood.
I still wasn`t really happy, but on that late year body i liked it more than the normal L88 hood :

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
the punisher

I had that same opinion when i was looking for a hood back when i had a 1981 Vette.
Wouldn`t have changed the perfect stock hood if it wouldn`t have been necessary due to a motor swap (higher intake).

The L88 on the smooth 81 did not look right to me, compromise was we used a L88 scoop so it merged into the front piece of the ´81 hood.
I still wasn`t really happy, but on that late year body i liked it more than the normal L88 hood :

that looks really good

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's a new approach, nice looking. I bought the hood. Everything lines up as for the body. The latches if I want to go that route I will have modify the hood to work. But its doable. I had my new truck stolen last month (6 months old) so I'm putting alarms in my cars and trucks now with kill switches hidden. I plan to put a locking hood pins, Areocatch has what I'm looking for. Going to set everything aside and collect what I want to modify the car then this summer made a big change to everything. I damaged the front bumper so going Daytona (maybe) and putting a new glass rear bumper too. Coil overs front and rear, C6 6 piston brakes, front and rear, get the offset trailing arms, redo all the bushings front to back and put some better rims and tires on, go 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear.

Going to go LS before its over with.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hood I got is not the one that’s tall. It’s only about 3” high.
My goal is to one year put in a crate LS3. But I haven’t decided yet. I just put a new 383 in it. But I can’t get it running right. Going to post on the site shortly to get everyone’s option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts