Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a old set of Hooker headers and side pipes that I found in a neighbors barn. I think the mufflers are in pretty bad shape. My question is has anyone ever tried to run these without the mufflers? Was the noise unbearable? Or can this be done for a few weeks just for fun?

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
I ran mine for a summer without any mufflers in them. They were quite loud but the only damage done was a ticket for excessive noise. If you are going to put new ones in I would suggest the spiral mufflers or do as I did and make your own spiral mufflers.

·
Registered
501 Posts
hookers are similar to ''o k custom'' , the original supplier of ''cannons''...ran those without the ''tampons'' (slip-in mufflers) for short periods ''back in the day''...big blocks with cannons are ''almost'' tolerable on the street, but small blocks ''bark'' louder and are almost too much (almost)...some of the 'ok-custom'' sets even had the GM part number stamped on the flanges at the cyl head, i carried a copy of the parts book page to show when stopped for ''modified exhaust'', never got written up...now have some hearing loss in my left ear, wonder if ??

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
hookers are similar to ''o k custom'' , the original supplier of ''cannons''...ran those without the ''tampons'' (slip-in mufflers) for short periods ''back in the day''...big blocks with cannons are ''almost'' tolerable on the street, but small blocks ''bark'' louder and are almost too much (almost)...some of the 'ok-custom'' sets even had the GM part number stamped on the flanges at the cyl head, i carried a copy of the parts book page to show when stopped for ''modified exhaust'', never got written up...now have some hearing loss in my left ear, wonder if ??
Tampons:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

first time ive heard that

another option is the sweet thunder inserts, I love them, they are less expensive than spirals (230 bucks or so) and they still sound mean and nasty.

PM me if you want me to send you a sound file

its is killer

:cheers:
Tim

·
Registered
138 Posts
LUV that noise, here's what I did with my big block

I am running a old set of Hooker headers and side pipes that I found in a neighbors barn. I think the mufflers are in pretty bad shape. My question is has anyone ever tried to run these without the mufflers? Was the noise unbearable? Or can this be done for a few weeks just for fun?
When back in the golden day's of Hooker's and Customs, and when SCCA racing A/P class, us vette hounds use to slip a used oil filter down the tubes.
Would take a 1/2 " punch and punch out holes in the metal casing filter's and the set te filters on fire and burn out the gut's. Slide them down the tubes and drive off for tech inspection. Always worked.
When driving on the street's the cops after pulling me over could see the filter's and would just be pissed because they couldn't write a ticket for open exhaust.
Spiceman

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Sorry for the crappy video, but here's a BB with STS Baffles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts