Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Hooker's installed for about a year and a half now. I talked to several Hooker reps at three different shows. They all advised me to purchase their stainless steel headers for the vette. The header fit was nice, the sidepipe fit was terrible. I had to make several alterations to get them level. However, they said the stainless headers were less likely to discolor. Well that is a load of bullshit. My headers turned after 50 miles. I am currently in the process of replacing the original motor with a 383. I took the headers off the car, and after a tremendous deal of effort polished them back to a like new condition. This was probably a wasted effort as I expect them to turn once again. My buddy bought the same headers for his 68 vert, and after 20 miles of driving has the same problem. I was wondering if anyone else has suffered through this before, or had any solutions to the problem:crazy:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
ok... what exactly do you expect ??? Stainless always turns blue/brown when it gets hot.... Most newer cars have stainless exhaust and they all turn blue and brown.... at leats there's no coating flaking off.... and no rust....

If you want to spend the money get the stainless pipes coated....

Chrome turns blue also... ceramic coating can chip off, especially behind the front wheel where all the dirt hits the pipes.... paint is even worse....

The only way to keep the headers look like new is not drive the car :crazy: :laughing: :lookinup:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok... what exactly do you expect ??? Stainless always turns blue/brown when it gets hot.... Most newer cars have stainless exhaust and they all turn blue and brown.... at leats there's no coating flaking off.... and no rust....

If you want to spend the money get the stainless pipes coated....

Chrome turns blue also... ceramic coating can chip off, especially behind the front wheel where all the dirt hits the pipes.... paint is even worse....

The only way to keep the headers look like new is not drive the car :crazy: :laughing: :lookinup:
I agree that you can fix the inherent problem. I'm just saying for the cash outlay that is required there shouldn't be this problem. Of course I'm going to drive my car. That's what I bought it for, and have worked so hard to ensure I will be able to do without problems. However, some of us would prefer to operate these vehicles without undue mainteance concerns, such as header discoloration that is a royal bitch to fix. I am sure as hell not willing to pull the headers every thousand miles to eradicate the problem. My fatherpurchsaed a set of Hooker Supercomp coated headers for his 66 big block Mercury. They have turned, and rusted in less than three years:WTF I have seen headers on C5 corvettes that were installed with over 100,000 miles of use look new. If the buying public continues to accept poor cratfsmanship, I guess it deserves what it gets. I am simply trying to raise an issue, that for the cost associated with the product should not be an issue at all:D

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Headers are kind of a replaceable part like brake pads.

I don't see what the problem is. Unless your engine compartment is perfect I wouldn't stress it.

And how is it poor craftsmanship?

·
DC Crew
3,080 Posts
I have hooker headers & side pipes both jet coated !! only about 2 months old and thy still look brand new and about 2000 miles >>> im told the jet coated will last longer then chrome type ??

one thing within 1/2 hour of the first fire up did burn my leg really good with blisters with in 2 days >> but now added shields and no more burned legs [ I hope] shields bought from cobrastuff.com

·
Registered
281 Posts
headers turning color

think of chrome like a girl friend,,,the more you use it the worse it looks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
They should offer a double coat of Jet Hot inside the pipes and leave the exterior finish Chrome or stainless. Would probably solve the problem. I tried, Jet Hot said they couldn't do just the inside.:WTF

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm with ya on this one. You're right. The stainless is the best choice because they're not going to rust out like the chrome, coated or painted ones after time. But I gotta say after seeing yours, I'm pretty pissed at the poor quality of the hookers, especially after buying a set myself. Those damn things looked like absolute T-total hell. They looked like the rotten intestines from a dead animal. Blue-Black-Brown-Gold - Absolute bullshit. Yeah I know they're gonna turn, but you guys have no idea. I've never seen anything that bad. Until someone comes out and competes with Hooker on their side mount headers and pipes, there's no incentive for them to try and fix the problem. You're right about mine. They've already started to turn and I only have 15 miles on the engine. Looks like we'll be having a header pulling party in a few months.:down:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Stainless headers will turn yellow, gold then brown during the cam break-in...... especially if you're running lean..... I've run my stainless headers for about 200 miles, probably less, and I already removed them and cleaned them... ok, I was replacing the engine at the same time but nevertheless, even if I had not removed the engine, I would have still pulled the headers to polish them....

You can get to most areas even if the headers are installed... the stainless polish from HomeDepot (designed for your kitchen sink) is pretty good stuff... not too expensive either, about 1/2 of what Mothers charges for the 'billet polish'.....

BTW.... I agree on the fitment issue... it's NOT an 'easy bolt on' if you want to do the job right and look right.... the welds are not that great either.... nothing I'd be proud of.... if it wasn't stainless I could do as good with my flux core junk welder.... :D :D

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have the black hooker sidepipes and couldn't be happier with them. They went in with out much trouble. Too bad about the SS headers discoloring, I would not have expected that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
the welds are not that great either.... nothing I'd be proud of.... if it wasn't stainless I could do as good with my flux core junk welder.... :D :D

:laughing: I bet you could too. At first I thought the welds were done by machine, but now I'm thinking they are still done by hand just because they are so sloppy in spots. BTW - happy B-day. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
At first I thought the welds were done by machine, but now I'm thinking they are still done by hand just because they are so sloppy in spots. BTW - happy B-day. :cheers:

thanks... now I gotta find out how you know..... :crazy:

The 'professionals' always say that the sloppy wleds are done by a machine.... the good welds are usually good ole oxy acetylen.... LOL

:thumbsup: :devil: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Trust me, I have the flaking ceramic coated side-exhaust headers and I'd gladly opt for some discoloring instead. :bang

Ah well, now I get to test this 'cermachrome' stuff: ceramic coating with a chrome look. Perhaps best to buy stainless and then coat with that...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts