Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after getting nowhere with that darn leak I took the next step,Yip you guessed it :thud: pulled the tranny,disconneted the motor mts lifted the front of the motor pulled the oil pan and replaced the rear main seal. I had to remove the tranny because of the one piece seal but mine has the adapter that takes the regular 2 piece seal.Too late and too tired to go into why the seal is that way amybe tommorow. But anyway i started at 2pm and just finished up at 10:40pm. started the motor let it run for 10 mins and rev'd a few times pretty hard and so far so good :spanked: Take about an hour to finish it up and then take it for a spin and see what happens.

Did not see anything wrong with the seal,but i replaced it with a fel-pro blue seal there are 2 diff ones but this part#BS 11829-1 has a thicker lip seal and Tim said it was the better one,cost about $8.00 at advance auto.and then put a little gasket maker permatex 300 between the 2 seals where they butt against each other and on the mating flanges of the 2 piece adapter. Not sure which one did the trick but at this point who cares :laughing:
Will see what happens when i road test it tommorow.
Got my fingers,toes,and nuts :nuts: crossed that it works.

Kevin

sorry for any typo's or other things that don't make since but im :whip:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah no **** :laughing: but if this is the end of my leak i think i will let it slide. You know for every motor you build there is always going to be at least one glitch,and hopefully i just had mine.
I should have took some pics of the inside of my motor while i was there it sure looks perdy. The builder definately did not cut corners in that part.
The other good thing with my builder is that he was going to get on a plane and fly here to take care of this,thought that was very nice of him but told him to save his air fare and see if i can get it taken care of first. :thumbsup:
How many other builders do you think would offer to do that,and from some of the story's i have heard from other guy's on here about their builders,i consider myself very lucky.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:surprised Yeah the motor was not cheap :surprised but if had got on a plane to fly from FL to MO he probably would have went in the hole on this build. Lets just hope that i don't have to test how serious he is about this.
I will road test it today and that should tale me if it worked or not :huh: but i'm going to bet that it is fixed.

Kevin

·
Registered
413 Posts
:surprised Yeah the motor was not cheap :surprised but if had got on a plane to fly from FL to MO he probably would have went in the hole on this build. Lets just hope that i don't have to test how serious he is about this.
I will road test it today and that should tale me if it worked or not :huh: but i'm going to bet that it is fixed.

Kevin
Good news I hope it is fixed for good:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i finshed the last little details and fired it up again and let it run for about 10mins and still no leak,so still holding my breath i take it out for a spin about 5 miles and still no leak,get back to my house and flog the **** out of it in my driveway :devil: driveway is 120ft long so i left a 2 nice black stripes from the end of my drive all the way into my garage :D good thing for brakes.
left it running crawled under the car and still no leak :excited:
Topped it of with 20 gals of 100LL and after i degrease the under belly of the car i'm going to go drive the wheels off of it and get some miles on the motor so i can see what 490hp 505tq realy feels like :surprised

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts