Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a strange issue with my horn. It tends to go off on it's own - just starts blowing non-stop. The only way I have found to stop it is to extend the telescope steering column.

I pulled the button and removed the contact rings and when I push the telescope column back in, at about the 1/2 way point the horn starts again. Extend back out and it stops!

I'm thinking I may have to pull the steering wheel and potentially more, but not being a technical expert, I'm a little unsure about doing this with a T/T steering system. From what I've read, this is better left to the experts.

Any ideas if that's the route to go or other suggestions? Anyone else ever experienced this phenomenon??

Driving around with the steering column extended is a little uncomfortable :down:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I had this same problem in one of my '77 Vettes with the T ? column.

I don't recall what part was broken but I had to have a shop rebuild my column, and there were several cracked pieces inside that had to be replaced.

Basically the cracks are allowing the ground to be made when they flex, and the horn sounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<snip>
I don't recall what part was broken but I had to have a shop rebuild my column, and there were several cracked pieces inside that had to be replaced.<snip>
:surprised

Perhaps I disconnet the factory horn and get a bicycle horn intstead....

Ugh.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The contact is grounding on its own. Pull the horn button and take a look.

:thumbsup:
Yeah, you don't have to get very far into the column to get at the piece(s) that are causing your horn to go off at random.

The horn button just pulls off, although a little rust could make it slightly more difficult, just pry slowly.

Underneath you'll find the contact ring, and three sets of nylon screws/nuts. If these one or more of these break, it can allow the contact ring to "make contact" even when you're not pushing the button.

Replace these with nylon screws/nuts you can get at home depot/Lowe's or a Hobby shop that carries nylon hardware.

Don't worry, you're not going to get into the main guts of the T/T column. The horn stuff is easily accessible, no need to remove the column, or have the work farmed out, this IS one you can do yourself.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, you don't have to get very far into the column to get at the piece(s) that are causing your horn to go off at random.

The horn button just pulls off, although a little rust could make it slightly more difficult, just pry slowly.

Underneath you'll find the contact ring, and three sets of nylon screws/nuts. If these one or more of these break, it can allow the contact ring to "make contact" even when you're not pushing the button.

Replace these with nylon screws/nuts you can get at home depot/Lowe's or a Hobby shop that carries nylon hardware.

Don't worry, you're not going to get into the main guts of the T/T column. The horn stuff is easily accessible, no need to remove the column, or have the work farmed out, this IS one you can do yourself.:thumbsup:
I have successfully pulled the horn button off, removed the contact rings. Nothing is broken and even without all of that installed, if I push the telescope back in, the horn goes off. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to go in a little deeper - pull the wheel and find out where the "short" is. Perhaps a wire insulation is worn through after 35 years?

I'm gonna go pick up a wheel puller and hopefully find the source of the problem.

Thanks for your input/feedback. Anyone have any tips on pulling a steering wheel on a '76, I'm all ears/eyes!

- Eric

·
Registered
443 Posts
Are you sure the horn button contact with its cheesey bushing and spring are properly lined up? Seems like I was there a few years ago and it took a bit to get it all lined up. I suppose it could be the "Turn Signal Canceling Cam Plastic Retainer" which isn't hard to get to once the steering wheel is off.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={13D3365F-7AE7-4B27-87CB-9AB8DC7F3922}&gid={22C9B1F5-2F38-4F92-956B-ACBCDE9BE3F9}&pname=69-89+Turn+Signal+Cancelling+Cam+Plastic+Retainer&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

·
Registered
910 Posts
This retainer/insulator has a habit of falling apart and then the telecope spring will ground out, when telesoping, blowing the horn.

Also make sure your upper horn retainer has enough spacers to keep it away from the star bolt when the telecope lever is turned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts