Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you guys know member JAKEJR he is a valued member with lots of tech advise, well I just read this post from his son on CF

Hello everyone, this is Ryan Cameron, JAKE's son (username: JAKE-Son or kobrah1) I know my father is a very active member on the Corvette forum and it hates me to bring bad news to such a great open-forum. If none of you knew, my father has been battling Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and after having several days of severe headaches this past Saturday night he had suffered a brain aneurysm which caused severe brain injury. Along with his severe brain injury and cancer, the doctors are unable to do anything. Currently he is brain dead and expecting to pass in the next couple of days. All of the family flew overnight to be with him and we are repecting his wishes as in terms of medical care and are just waiting for his passing.

My father and I were in the process of building a 398 for my vette as a last father-and-son project and knowing that he would not want me to give up on anything in life. I am asking for help on searching for the last parts and a teacher to help me assemble it. I can turn wrenches and repair most things on my vette, but never built a engine He was going to teach me everything in order to build it and be there every step of the way. I'm just looking to complete our project and learn everything I can. Please contact me at (JAKE,JAKE-SON or kobrah1 my e-mail is [email protected]) for more details on anything regarding the engine-project or my dad.

Thank-You for your time

-Ryan

Anything any of you can do to help him get that motor together and running in honor of his father would be awesome. His e-mail address is in that quote.

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
2020 Corvette black over black
232 Posts
I might lose my profile for what I'm about to say, but if so, then so be it.

The man hasn't even passed yet and the son's first priority is finding someone to fix his car? I really can't quite believe what I'm reading here, I had to read it through twice. If my father were on life support somewhere ready to pass, I would be right there by his side, not worrying about some car. I just can't quite believe the superficiality of this younger generation.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts

The man hasn't even passed yet and the son's first priority is finding someone to fix his car? I really can't quite believe what I'm reading here, I had to read it through twice. If my father were on life support somewhere ready to pass, I would be right there by his side, not worrying about some car. I just can't quite believe the superficiality of this younger generation.
No offence intended but I have to say it crossed my mind as I read it as well. All I could think of was he is on a laptop in the hospital room thinking of what him and his dad would be doing or discussing. I dont know but I doubt very seriously I would be posting anything knowing he was in that condition...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Ugolino and Altered on this one, superficial being the word. I think we were all to some degree self centered, the world revolves around me when we were younger but this post just comes across as adolescent. It does seem like he's more concerned for the car than his father.

Ugolino I also want to say that you gave some good advice to the boy on the other thread concerning a Vette purchase and getting married. I too tried to advise him to reset his priorities but I dunno. We'll see I guess. Thanks, peace and respect to all!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow that's horrible... Hell of a thing to be going through losing ones father. Especially so close to Christmas.... Keep them in my prayers.

·
Registered
182 Posts

I considered the identical scenario however after some thought my conclusion is:

We all handle emotional stress in a different manner. Posting about a build, working on the car with your Dad etc is in my opinion a way to relieve stress in a troubling time. When my Dad passed I thought about all the good things we had done together. I cannot speak for Ryan however if I were in his shoes I would like to complete the project I started on with my Dad in his honor.

Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Jesus Steve, That is terrible news. I had a lot of time for Jake and respected him a great deal.

To those that think that Ryan's posting was inappropriate that this time, I think that although you guys may be right, another possibility you might consider is that Jake's aneurysm was on Saturday and Ryan posted this on Wednesday. It's possible that Jake's wishes were DNR and no artificial life support. He and his family knew about the severity of his condition and all preparations had already been made for this eventuality. Ryan has had a few days to come to grips with this being the time. He is now looking at what Jake would have wanted him to do. He posted on a Corvette forum to inform members of the Corvette community of Jake's condition and to ask for assistance in completing Jake's last project which was Corvette related. He probably wouldn't have posted there if Jake's last wishes were to complete is work on time travel. The fact that it is Ryan's car may be totally irrelevant. Ryan may be asking for the same help if Jake's wishes were to complete a father and son engine build for the lady next door. Now like the rest of you, I haven't a clue what goes on in the minds of others, but in this case I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt. You could be right and Ryan is just a selfish prick, but I doubt Jake would of allowed that to happen to his son and I don't believe Ryan entered West Point to get a free engineering degree, serve his minimum obligation and get a high paying civilian job. I believe Ryan entered West Point to serve his country and this isn't the act of a selfish prick. Just my opinion. I respect yours and as I said, you may be right. I just like to think, in this case, I may be a bit closer to the truth.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I considered the identical scenario however after some thought my conclusion is:

We all handle emotional stress in a different manner. Posting about a build, working on the car with your Dad etc is in my opinion a way to relieve stress in a troubling time. When my Dad passed I thought about all the good things we had done together. I cannot speak for Ryan however if I were in his shoes I would like to complete the project I started on with my Dad in his honor.

Merry Christmas everyone.
I agree. It's also generational. The younger generation considers it's web friends to be a part of it's family. If they need consoling or support, that is the first place they think of going. I give him a pass on this one.
My prayers go up for this family.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
So sad to lose your dad. Especially in a close relationship like it sounds they had.

I still think about the times I had with my dad, and would give up a lot to have him back for only one day again.

He will be in my prayers tonight.

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
So sad to lose your dad. Especially in a close relationship like it sounds they had.

I still think about the times I had with my dad, and would give up a lot to have him back for only one day again.

He will be in my prayers tonight.
If i had my dad for one hour i would give my fill in __anything____________, i really miss my dad, hes been gone for more than 18 years, i am glad he had a good relationship with his

·
Registered
23 Posts

How dare - Let us not judge how an individual copes with the pain of losing ones father! Unless you have
ever dealt with the pain of watching the slow passing of any person suffernig a disease you could not grasp the feeling and the emotions nor understand that everyone deals with it in their own way, and that way should never be judged by another. Sorry just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How dare - Let us not judge how an individual copes with the pain of losing ones father! Unless you have
ever dealt with the pain of watching the slow passing of any person suffernig a disease you could not grasp the feeling and the emotions nor understand that everyone deals with it in their own way, and that way should never be judged by another. Sorry just my 2 cents worth.
Yup. Negative posts like I see in this thread tell me I don't belong here.

·
Registered
226 Posts

:down:

·
Registered
226 Posts
No offence intended but I have to say it crossed my mind as I read it as well. All I could think of was he is on a laptop in the hospital room thinking of what him and his dad would be doing or discussing. I dont know but I doubt very seriously I would be posting anything knowing he was in that condition...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Ugolino and Altered on this one, superficial being the word. I think we were all to some degree self centered, the world revolves around me when we were younger but this post just comes across as adolescent. It does seem like he's more concerned for the car than his father.

Ugolino I also want to say that you gave some good advice to the boy on the other thread concerning a Vette purchase and getting married. I too tried to advise him to reset his priorities but I dunno. We'll see I guess. Thanks, peace and respect to all!

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Many of you guys know member JAKEJR he is a valued member with lots of tech advise, well I just read this post from his son on CF

Anything any of you can do to help him get that motor together and running in honor of his father would be awesome. His e-mail address is in that quote.

Thanks Steve
Missed this thread the first time around. My deepest condolences to his friends and family. Unfortunately, some forms of cancer are inevitable killers; I can only imagine a tiny bit of what they have been through with him over the last few months.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts