Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plans to raise the debt ceiling by another 2.4 TRILLION was defeated this afternoon.

This will get interesting.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
They won't agree to raising the ceiling without cuts, yet they passed a $19bil INCREASE in defense spending.

:WTF

Yup. Serious about cuts.

:rolleyes:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
318 members of the House, including Pelosi, Hoyer, and DNC chief Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, voted not to raise the limit which shows me that the majority of House members are all for spending cuts. Seven democrats voted present while another 6 couldn't muster the energy to even show up.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Does it really matter at this point? :laughing::crazy:
:laughing:

$19 billion in cuts is about one days worth of interest...what a load of oats after they've been processed by the horse.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
318 members of the House, including Pelosi, Hoyer, and DNC chief Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, voted not to raise the limit which shows me that the majority of House members are all for spending cuts.
Surprising considering all those you cited are left wing sluts. :laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
:laughing:

$19 billion in cuts is about one days worth of interest...what a load of oats after they've been processed by the horse.
Not a cut. An INCREASE!

:lookinup:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Not a cut. An INCREASE!

:lookinup:
What I meant was...even $19 billion in cuts would be only one day's interest. I was trying for brevitiy. Sorry, it was a thought joke. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Current daily interest on US debt is "only" $1.2 billion/day.

But, your figure of $19 billion/day will probably be correct in 6 years if the idiot in charge is re-elected.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The debt ceiling was raised 7 times from 2000 to 2008.

But the government is taking no chances. Buried deep in the hundred pages of bailout legislation is a provision that would raise the statutory ceiling on the national debt to $11.315 trillion. It'll be the 7th time the debt limit has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion.
Source

Just saying....

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
The debt ceiling was raised 7 times from 2000 to 2008.

Source

Just saying....
I don't understand this logic. Just because it was done in the past means it's ok to do it now?

The definition of insanity is making the same mistake over and over again while expecting a different result.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
318 members of the House, including Pelosi, Hoyer, and DNC chief Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, voted not to raise the limit which shows me that the majority of House members are all for spending cuts. Seven democrats voted present while another 6 couldn't muster the energy to even show up.
The Dems are running scared on this issue. The Pubs need to kick them while they are down politically. Instead, the Pubs are being beaten to a pulp by the Dems on the issue of Medicare. The Ryan budget is being described to seniors as kicking them out in the street on healthcare, and the Pubs are not responding. Senior healthcare MUST be handled by a bipartisan group within congress. Either party that decides to be the big boys and handle it in their platform will lose and lose big. Boehner is proving himself totally inept at preparing his party for the next major election IMO.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
They won't agree to raising the ceiling without cuts, yet they passed a $19bil INCREASE in defense spending.

:WTF

Yup. Serious about cuts.

:rolleyes:
That's cauze they are aware that 5 million or more people will get laid off if they do.

We are backed into a corner.
We need war to perpetuate what little economy we do have.

And that is because we are fighting a population explosion that we cannot sustain or provide jobs for.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts

A majority of the legislators and country is.

The problem is cutting without increasing unemployment.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
2006 - 2010 it went from $8.96 trillion to $14.3 trillion, a little over $5 trillion in increases under 5 years of democratic control.

From 2001 - 2006 it went from $5.95 trillion - $8.96 trillion, A little over $3 trillion in increases, under 5 years of republican control.

Democrats have accounted for a 68% increase in 5 years, over the previous 5 years under republicans.

Republicans accounted for 5 years of no increase prior to 2001.

So basically, since the fascist took over (2001), the debt ceiling has increased 140%.

Neither party can claim the high ground here, as they are both cut from the same mold..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts