Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell the difference between an OEM GS a-mold wheel... and an aftermarket wheel?

I understand that aftermarket a-molds weigh about 1-lb more.... but is there any visual way?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The GM wheels have a little symbol stamped on teh outside of the rim, not on the lip, but bewtween the lip and the spokes that looks like a MC....made in China would be a guess.

That's the only way I know of. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
96LT4 said:
The GM wheels have a little symbol stamped on teh outside of the rim, not on the lip, but bewtween the lip and the spokes that looks like a MC....made in China would be a guess.

That's the only way I know of. :cheers:
:agree:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I read somewhere that the MC was a sign the wheels were made of magneisum. I think that's right but don't bet on it.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
raidmagic said:
I read somewhere that the MC was a sign the wheels were made of magneisum. I think that's right but don't bet on it.

Possible, but the designation for magnesium is mg. :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm kinda interested to hear the replies to this one. If a single pound is the only difference, I can save a few bucks and buy aftermarket. Actually found a company that makes 16" A molds too. That is kinda what I'm looking for.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
muddpile said:
I'm kinda interested to hear the replies to this one. If a single pound is the only difference, I can save a few bucks and buy aftermarket. Actually found a company that makes 16" A molds too. That is kinda what I'm looking for.
Yes, i believe it was Hutch over at the GS registry that weighed them.

I am going to go with black powdercoated 18" or 19" rims for next year. My OEM wheels are in sad shape and I'm dissapointed with the quality. The clear coat is flaking off, and they are painted from the factory, not powdercoated like I want.

Why would you want 16" a-molds and not 17" ?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Powdercoating doesn't flake or peel or anything correct? I'd rather silver or black A-molds for my car than Chrome or polished. After this adventure I'm having stripping and refinishing the originals a new set is starting to look pretty good. The reason I'm looking for 16" vs. 17" is because I have a pair of basically new tires on the front of my car right now (back ones are a lot less than perfect). Plus tires for a 16" wheel should be cheaper right? I'm in Canada and everything gets upcharged. It's a crime. Right now I'm trying to find somewhere to buy A molds in my country to save on Shipping, customs, duty, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts