Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I attached a pic of my C3 rims. When I first bought it, I thought it was waterspots, but they don't rub off! It's not oxidized, almost like the wheels were clearcoated and the liquid ran. It is smooth and does not run below the wheel surface. I tried hand buffing with aluminum wheel paste, but no luck. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weren't these wheels factory clear coated?

Weren't these wheels factory clear coated? Will power buffing remove the clearcoat or cause any problems?

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
Weren't these wheels factory clear coated? Will power buffing remove the clearcoat or cause any problems?
Are they factory wheels? Try posting some pictures so we can look at them. Removing clear coat is going to be difficult IMHO ... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they factory wheels? Try posting some pictures so we can look at them. Removing clear coat is going to be difficult IMHO ... :thumbsup:
I attached pics with my original note, and they won't allow me to reload. Please check them out. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
It looks like some kind of corrosive cleaner has discolored the clear. You might try claying them.:huh:

·
Registered
893 Posts
That looks like tire and wheel cleaner residue that dried on your wheel. Spray it again with the wheel cleaner and scrub it down pretty good but DO NOT let the wheel cleaner dry on the wheel, hurry up and rinse the hell out of it with water then dry ASAP. I've had this happen with my wheels from time to time. If that's a "no go" then try some car wax and buff it out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

I have an aluminum wheel polish that I can use, would that work? I tried by hand with no luck, so I guess I have to use a buffer. Or should I try the wheel cleaner first? Thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
gET SOME 1800 WET SAND PAPER AND GO OVER THEM LIGHTLY UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL THE OXIDATION OFF, THEN GO OVER THEM WITH mOTHERS AND A POWERBALL.
Sorry bout the caps
The aluminum wheels are Very High quality and will take a near chrome finish, you should be able to get all 4 wheels looking great in under 2 hrs.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Won't come off

This stuff won't come off with steel wool by hand. I'm going to buy the powerball. Again, it seems to be in the clear coat. Can't even feel it by fingernail.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If the wheels are clearcoated then the coat is toast. Save yourself some time and pick up the 1800 paper and remove the clearcoat.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Point

That is a good point...but do I have to reapply clearcoat afterwards? There are a variety of opinions so far. These wheels should have been clearcoated from the factory. If this is the case, then will buffing the clearcoat (with sandpaper or paste) remove the problem, or do I have to chemically remove the clearcoat and re-apply? (Which I do not want to do).

·
Registered
738 Posts
No need to reapply the clearcoat, I think it was a waste of time in the first place. The wheels are a Very Good quality aluminum that will take a Very Nice Shine. Much better than the clearcoat will let show. They will hold it for a long time too. Once you have them polished out, a little attention now and then (couple times a year) and they will keep looking great. Mine looked worse than yours, they were gray. It took me about 2 to 3 hrs to clean all 4 with the wet paper and then buff out with the power ball. I still need to hit them once more with Never Dull, but they look almost new now.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If the wheels are clearcoated then the coat is toast. Save yourself some time and pick up the 1800 paper and remove the clearcoat.
How thick would the clear coat be though? That would take forever trying to remove it with 1800. Personally, I'd be starting with something a little heavier and end up finishing with 1800.

Now this is purely my opinion and what I would do on my own, so don't bash me if you bugger your wheels! If you were going to remove the clear completely, I'd be starting with 600, then once you have the clear off, get finer and finer until you are using 1500 or 1800. You will then have pretty much a mirror finish. Keep going in the same direction and don't go in the direction of your fingers - ie, keep your hand as flat as possible and rub circumferentially around the rim. Oh, I'm talking about using wet and dry paper with water.

I've never used (never seen actually!!) a "Mother's ball" so don't know what to do there...

·
Registered
738 Posts
The clearcoat is not all that thick, especially after all these years. Even with the 1800 paper (which is very fine, feels like velvet) the finish will be a light smooth gray with a little bit of a sheen. Any good aluminum polish and polishing bob will work pretty well at that point. Stay away from the hard polishes though, use a cream.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts