Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, what would be the easiest and way to get my 1985 vette with a L98 to produce upwards of 300 hp ?
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,226 Posts
KingJoeJoe said:
hey guys, what would be the easiest and way to get my 1985 vette with a L98 to produce upwards of 300 hp ?
You said "cheap" in the title, and there is nothing cheap that'll get you to 300 HP. Forget about bolt-on's.

Are you planning on doing the mechanical work yourself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the cheapest way to get it done and yes i would do my own work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
nitrous!!
or
If you do the work yourself a cam, pistons and porting the heads isn't too expencive:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
WARNING: Corvettes seem to have a snowball effect.... NOTHING is cheap!!:laughing: :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are there any good nitrous setups availiable for the L98 ?
 

·
El Teafive
Joined
·
10,489 Posts
the 85 had what around 230 FWHP stock right?

Here is what I would do. if you do it in stages it won't be a big hit on the pocket book at once

Pick out your pieces..

Do exhaust first

Then do Heads and Cam ( when you do the heads/Cam pick out the intake you will ultimately use and build the combo around that.)


Keep in mind the best way to make power is to pick out parts that work WELL with each other. don't just throw parts at the car, as you will not get the most out of it.
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,226 Posts
-=Jeff=- said:
the 85 had what around 230 FWHP stock right?

Here is what I would do. if you do it in stages it won't be a big hit on the pocket book at once

Pick out your pieces..

Do exhaust first

Then do Heads and Cam ( when you do the heads/Cam pick out the intake you will ultimately use and build the combo around that.)


Keep in mind the best way to make power is to pick out parts that work WELL with each other. don't just throw parts at the car, as you will not get the most out of it.
Front wheel HP? Are we building a Civic Type-R ?:laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
JCswm said:
nitrous!!
or
If you do the work yourself a cam, pistons and porting the heads isn't too expencive:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
WARNING: Corvettes seem to have a snowball effect.... NOTHING is cheap!!:laughing: :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
It might not be to late to ask Santa.....:laughing: kidding..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh god not a civic !
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
Comeon Pat! FWHP is Fly Wheel HP :D

As far as getting over 300hp, you could also supercharge it. It would probably be cheaper (and last longer) to rebuild it though.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,548 Posts
ok lets look at the options,
heres the average results (DYNO PROVEN)
useing a low restriction air filtrer plus porting the stock TPI plenum, heads ,and intake runners might get you 20hp,
adding a crane cam,#114132 is good for 30hp,
adding headers and a full length 3"exhaust and getting rid of the factory cat or replaceing the cat with a high flow low restance model is an easy 25hp minimum
do a throttle body coolant byepass its worth 4hp
now your 230hp is at 310hp (flywheel)
add a low ratio crank pulley and youll gain about 5hp more
your best return would be a nitrous system, but do the mods listed above and swap to 195cc AFR heads and youll get an extra 35-40 hp.
if your looking for more a 383 crank kit will give you a solid 40hp/40ft lbs greater, especially with a boost to 10:1-10.5:1 compression and the cam listed. or IF you move up to a 10.5:1 cpr 383 AND a 2600rpm stall converter the crane 114142 cam is worth about 40hp not 30 like the smaller one, but keep in mind that youll also need the rear gears, to something in the 3.54-3.73 range, for the changes to effectively use that 114142 cams higher rpm range
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top