Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the post, but I need to jack up the 85 vette to get to the back axle shafts.

I have 1 little crappy floor jack, how do I jack it up and where are the jacking point that wont hurt the car

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
I always used a block of wood on the frame in front of the rear tire.:huh:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
On the frame in front of the tire. If you are jacking just one corner then open your hood, doors, hatch and release your roof. People will argue this point but the rumor is you can do damage to your car if you don't.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sorry for the post, but I need to jack up the 85 vette to get to the back axle shafts.

I have 1 little crappy floor jack, how do I jack it up and where are the jacking point that wont hurt the car
Unless you have jack stands to go with that "little crappy floor jack" I suggest you bring the car to a mechanic or a freind with a lift or the proper equipment.

Do not, under any circumstances, get under a car that is on a jack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got two jackstands. I wont go under a car anymore that is just on a jack I had quite a scare last year when a car fell off the jack and didn't have stands.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got two jackstands. I wont go under a car anymore that is just on a jack I had quite a scare last year when a car fell off the jack and didn't have stands.

Google Corvette Gadgetman. He has something called the Jack-a-vette which allows you to jack up the rear of the car with one jack.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My car has been up, down, and all around with everything closed up. No problems.

I use my jack with a thick rag on the pad. Just put it on the metal sticking down between the two triangles on the bottom that says jack here.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Any ideas on how to jack up a C4 that has been lowered? Perhaps is it easiest to jack up one side at a time? :huh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Use caution when jacking up these cars. The frame flexing on a C4 is well documented, thus the comments on opening doors, hatch etc. Personally, I'd keep everything closed to promote rigidity. Although I don't have personal experience with the jack adaptor, looks like a good idea. I don't know if anyone has any comments on whether the differential is strong enough to support the car in this manner while jacking. Once up, very obviously, jack stands are necessary.
There was an article a few years back in Corvette Fever, on how to propery jack up these cars. I do recall, the area in front of the rear wheels was identified as a good area for jacking and jack stands.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Any ideas on how to jack up a C4 that has been lowered? Perhaps is it easiest to jack up one side at a time? :huh:[/QUOT Carefully drive onto 2x4 or better 2x6 then you should have enough room for a jack. Better yet build or buy some ramps.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I have four jack stands.

I jack the car up on one side in the middle (under the door) about midway between the two arrows near the wheel wells. I get one side up, and place a pair of stands near the wheel wells (where the arrows are).

I then move the jack to the other side, and repeat the procedure.

The last time I jacked up the car, I needed access to the engine compartment, so I opened the hood before I started jacking.

I usually have the top installed, but that's just because I have the top in most of the time, not because I believe it will keep the car from falling apart.

Steven

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dont know about that jack adapter thing...looks to me like it would be very easy to get it a little off center and either have the car tip once it's up a bit,or even jack it up at an angle unless you have it DEAD center.Also if that's all there is to it..$49 is kind of steep..you can make the same thing from a scrap of aluminum beam for pretty much nothing.:huh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I usualy drive the front of the car up on some wood blocks cut at 45% angle at the fronts. I think they are 2by8 im gona double up a pair of them and mount stops at the ends. verry helpful getting the front up in the air.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I dont know about that jack adapter thing...looks to me like it would be very easy to get it a little off center and either have the car tip once it's up a bit,or even jack it up at an angle unless you have it DEAD center.Also if that's all there is to it..$49 is kind of steep..you can make the same thing from a scrap of aluminum beam for pretty much nothing.:huh:
I agree it should be easy to make your own. As far as being off center, if your exhaust system runs in the stock location there isn't a lot of play between the exhaust pipes. The adapter pretty much centers itself.

·
Registered
501 Posts
rear : two pieces of 2x8 abt 2 ft long with one end ''beveled'' abt 45*...drive on these (one each side) to get room to put ''little'' jack (buy a second jack, they're practically free now) under each shock lower mount -- that's steel, no damage worry, no worry of sliding off jack...raise both sides somewhat equally by alternating a few strokes fron one jack to the other until full up, then put a jackstand under the frame, just in front of the rear wheel...release the jacks PARTIALLY to load the jackstands and grab the rear bumper and TRY to knock the car off the jackstands/jacks -- if it won't fall over, it's almost safe to get under, if it does fall over say a prayer of thanks that you were not under when it went.

front: slide small jacks (one each side) in just behind each front wheel and get the jack cup centered under the ''shipping'' tie down lug that sticks down from the frame...raise each side abt equally till full up and put jackstands under the front crossmember...partially load the jackstands and again TRY to knock 'er off.

if raising the whole car, raise the front first with trans in neutral.

i ALWAYS throw a 12''x12''x12'' wood block or a wide rim/tire under the car before goin' in...minor attention to what might break if the car falls over onto the wood/tire, as long as it's not me.

i lost a bud when his vette rolled FORWARD off cheapo steel ramps, no one has ever figured out how it did...please no repeat performs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts