Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to drop both front and rear of my car, but with the new wheels and 325's sticking out a little out back I'm having an issue. The tires hit the rear quarters on major dips so if I'm to lower it I would need to stiffen the rear suspension as well. I can live with a little rub, but I need to keep it at that, a LITTLE rub. My thoughts are to put GS fender flares on after I lower the car...but again, I've got to find a way to tighten the rear suspension to do so. I asked a similar question several weeks ago and learned that the longer bolt trick that everyone does will actually soften the suspension.

Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Only ways I can think of to stiffen it up would be to install a stiffer rear leaf spring of convert to coil overs.

Now if all you want to do prevent the rubbing, you make yourself a set of bump stops that would limit the travel of the shocks.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Lower it a half inch less?;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only ways I can think of to stiffen it up would be to install a stiffer rear leaf spring of convert to coil overs.

Now if all you want to do prevent the rubbing, you make yourself a set of bump stops that would limit the travel of the shocks.

Ahhh, good idea...yea, that's all I want to do, just keep the tires from distroying the quarters. Anybody done this?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yep, they have factory bumpstops, unless the PO removed them. It's just a bolt hole, so I imagine you could find a longer bumpstop from another car at a junkyard, or maybe even at your local autoparts store. Unbolt the factory one, bolt in the new longer one. I wish I'd kept my old poly ones I had on my truck's front lower control arms. Those would probably be perfect for you...although the car is going to ride like hell if you are hitting those bumpstops often. I had two dips in my road that where killing me, so I removed mine and cut off part of the bumpstop mount (but kept it intact incase i need it later for some weird reason). Now it rides like a dream again! :cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does the cars have bump-stops from the factory? If so, any suggestions on extending them?
There's probably another 1/4' or more of thread left (I just looked at an old picture I took). You should be able to make a spacer for the factory bumpstop and gain a little extra.

You can see the bumpstop in the top center of the picture:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's probably another 1/4' or more of thread left (I just looked at an old picture I took). You should be able to make a spacer for the factory bumpstop and gain a little extra.

You can see the bumpstop in the top center of the picture:

Awesome! Its amazing what you can find out by just asking on DC...thanks everyone for all the help. I think I AM going to look into just spacing the factory spacer down with washers or the like.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts

Sorry for stealing the thread but,

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT TWISTED THING?!?!?!?!?! :surprised

:devil:

·
Registered
39 Posts

Sorry for stealing the thread but,

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT TWISTED THING?!?!?!?!?! :surprised

:devil:
Hahhahaa, that's my half-shaft after some... spirited driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was just about to ask, how'd you twist the half shaft like that without something else braking? :thud:
Full throttle, hit a bad dip in the road, tire left the ground came back down hard. Between the travel on the suspension the fast spinning tire grabbing pavement quickly... twist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts