Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out an easy way to remove the two spare tire carrier bolts that hold the carrier near the differential. I tried putting a wrench up there but there is no room. I thought about cutting them but I'm not sure if I can get replacements? I noticed there is a nut on top and one below the frame where it attaches. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've found the easiest way to get at those two bolts is from the rear.
Lower the bucket, remove the tire and the upper plastic cover.
Reaching from the back between the car and the lowered bucket use (I think) a 11/16" open end wrench on the nut at the top of the bolts. Break it free and then if it makes it easier, use a crecent wrench on the flats at the other end of the bolts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Reaching from the back between the car and the lowered bucket use (I think) a 11/16" open end wrench on the nut at the top of the bolts. Break it free and then if it makes it easier, use a crecent wrench on the flats at the other end of the bolts.
:agree: Yep that's the way to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I finally got it down and out due to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It Is a 13/16 open end wrench. Soak with PB Blaster first then try to slightly tighten then remove the long bolts with a 13/16 open end. The square nuts inside of crossmember are welded

1 - 8 of 8 Posts